Is this old Adam cue made with Ramin wood?

I have this old 1970's Adam cue, and someone told me that it was probably made using Ramin wood, after I told him that the butt is warped.

Can anyone here confirm that this old Adam cue was made with Ramin wood?

Just curious to know.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200309_064434004.jpg
    IMG_20200309_064434004.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_20200309_063836709.jpg
    IMG_20200309_063836709.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_20200309_063924756.jpg
    IMG_20200309_063924756.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 335

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not ramin. Probably not teak. But teak is a faker - changes color and has various forms of grain.
Given the age, grain, & color, it could be cheap grade of koa. without any curl. Would explain the warping.
Realistically, it is probably just "tropical hardwood". :)

smt

Last edited:
Not ramin. Probably not teak. But teak is a faker - changes color and has various forms of grain.
Given the age, grain, & color, it could be cheap grade of koa. without any curl. Would explain the warping.
Realistically, it is probably just "tropical hardwood". :)

smt

Thanks for your reply. I looked up what Koa looks like, and I think the wood in the Adam cue looks similar to the Plain Koa, in this picture.

The cue feels very light, as if it might be hollow, and when rolled on a pool table, part of the forearm and the joint collar never touch the felt, but I can still see movement during the roll. Maybe that is just the way the forearm was tapered, in a very unusual way.

Attachments

• koa-title.jpg
    koa-title.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 213

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again, keeping in mind photos can be deceptive, and not really saying it is cheap grade koa.(there's too many other tropical hardwoods at the low end that might be similar to photo).....Koa is light weight, very prone to warping, and sort of looks like photo. I couldn't believe when i first heard some actually use it for cues. But apparently you can use anything if good job coring. Something i have not made time to learn. Still got a lot of straight grain classic wood to work with.

Plus now days a relatively low cost cue like yours would probably never happen in Koa- I can buy good cocobola, Ziricote, African Blackwood, for what Koa now costs

smt.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It might be Luan, also known as Filipino mahogany. Odds are that with the cue being from the 70’s that Adam would have used something inexpensive out of SE Asia.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It might be Luan, also known as Filipino mahogany. Odds are that with the cue being from the 70’s that Adam would have used something inexpensive out of SE Asia.

Not ramin,
ramin wood is extremely fibrous.
Used mainly in making cloth and paper.

I wouldn't arque with Az member PDX.
However, it does resemble Orange Osage, a California grown wood, famous for warping.
(just saying)