Review of the Players S-PSPW Cue

BadKarma

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Review of the Players S-PSPW Cue

Okay, please bear with me as this is my 1st attempt at a review of any kind, ever.

Years ago I took my playing very seriously. I had an old Meucci Custom that was
made before the big factory was built. But in ?97 I suffered a very bad back injury that took months just to relearn to walk again. I was informed that my days of playing were over. So, in frustration I sold my cues and never gave it another thought.

Fast forward to 3 months ago, I was at a little b-day party and played a few games just to see if I could and was surprised that I could play without to much trouble.

So, I decided to try and get back into the game. I looked around and read several threads and asked a few questions. I chose this cue to get me started:

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/plcuesnpesp.html

I didn?t want to spend a lot just incase I couldn?t play at a level I would be satisfied with.

I was very impressed with this cue. It?s not ?decked? out like the high end cues, but I have always liked the subtle looks of the Sneaky Petes and I like a wrapped butt. This cue really appealed to me.

I looked this cue over very carefully and the only thing I could find that could have been done better was the fit of the joint, there was just a hint of rounding of the edge of the shaft at the joint. This does not take away from the playability of the cue, it?s just noticeable if you look for it.

The shaft at 13mm is a bit thicker than I used to like, but is straight and slick and well finished. The wrap is dead black and has no flaws that I can find.

I?ve been practicing with this cue for the past couple weeks and entered my first little local tourney yesterday. Nothing major, just 12 people, double elimination 9-ball. At this point in time this cue plays much better than the bonehead holding it. I got myself into several bad leaves, but was able to extricate myself enough to finish 3rd. The cue has a very solid hit with the LePro tip, that I still need to work on a bit more. It performed everything that I asked of it, even though some of the things I asked were not the right ones.

At $55, I would say that you could not go wrong if you were looking for an inexpensive cue that will step up when you need to get your game on. They don?t look like and may not play like the big dollar handmade customs or the high end production cues, but for the beginner or intermediate player, how would they know the difference anyway. I like this cue and will keep it in my case as a break cue after I decide what I want as a player.

I hope this helps someone looking for a starter cue.