U.S. Amateur Preliminaries This Weekend

railrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone from this forum playing in the U.S. Amateur Preliminaries this weekend? If you are, tell us where you are playing and if you have ever qualified for the championships in Florida before. I'm playing in Huntsville, Alabama. Good Luck to all that compete!!!

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I'm playing this weekend. Unfortunately, like last year, I won't be able to make the championship round, if I win a qualifier. I suppose I'm playing just to get some table time in (and maybe play spoiler).

I went to Tampa for hte championship round, the previous couple of times I tried.

Eric

Richard Kapela

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be playing at Mr. Cue's II in Atlanta. I was fortunate enough to qualify last year, hoping to do it again.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Im playing at Amys in Stuart florida. 75 men , 22 women and Amys has only 10 tables! They are starting it tonight.

Ive been to the US Am nationals. Its alot of fun and one of my favorite tournaments.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Im playing at Amys in Stuart florida. 75 men , 22 women and Amys has only 10 tables! They are starting it tonight.

Ive been to the US Am nationals. Its alot of fun and one of my favorite tournaments.

Dave,

Sounds like a similar situation for us. We have 93 Men and 21 Women...playing on 10 tables. Thing is, our qualifier runs on Sat and Sun only...!

Good luck, I'll have to catch up to you sometime further on, down the trail.

Eric

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im playin i. htown tommorow morning at 10am. After i get off work at 8am , a 20 shift.....i think im drawin dead with no sleep

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Dave,

Sounds like a similar situation for us. We have 93 Men and 21 Women...playing on 10 tables. Thing is, our qualifier runs on Sat and Sun only...!

Good luck, I'll have to catch up to you sometime further on, down the trail.

Eric

LOL and I thought I had it bad! You guys will be playing long hrs this weekend. Good luck and get some rest friday. Your gonna need it.

wambamcam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW, I registered through my pool room and have not received anything in the mail or email confirming my registration.

Did you guys get something in the mail or email?

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
I was going to play in it this year in Ft Collins, CO but missed the cutoff date. I have a friend, Kim Housman, that is playing in Huntsville. She's pretty good and has made it to the Nationals before

wambamcam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW, I registered through my pool room and have not received anything in the mail or email confirming my registration.

Did you guys get something in the mail or email?

Quick bump on my question. Kinda concerned that I never received any confirmation on next weeks tournament...

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got knocked out in the semi's. I wanted to qualify for a second year but it will have to wait.

20 Tables at Mr. Q's in Atlanta with less than 90 men. Is the economy that bad that attendance dropped from the 120's to the 80's? Only six players are going from Atlanta instead of eight.

Papa Lou

Registered
I played at Amy's Billiards also Uwate..got promptly eliminated. The level of play was pretty impressive.... I saw you play a couple matches...outstanding skills man. How did you fare against the rest (ie Linares)?

blbarnett03

Registered
I played at mr cues this weekend...i wish i wouldve checked this post before going. I played 4 rnds Saturday and lost the last bumping me from making it till Sunday. My first match was a easy match. Second i should have won but couldn't find my stroke...did any of you guys see it while yall were ther??? :D and was to dang tired to even try the last match...although i will say hands down even if i would have shot my best game that he was better than me. I will add lastly that i was up there from Augusta and i think we had around 10 players out of 87 men that came from my division in the apa league that im in. I saw a comment about the economy and if we did have ten players that means that more than 10 % of the tournament was people from this area and i would say things must be tough or they would have had more players.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I won a qualifier. Unfortunately, there was some drama that came with it.

I can't go to Tampa for the Championship round, so my original plan was to give it up. I wanted to play in the qualifier, for the hell of it. For that matter, my entry was paid, so why not. So, I get to the finals and I wound up playing the winner of the loser's bracket, Chris Czonstka. Things started of uneventful, even though Chris has verbal diarrhea and has to verbalize every emotion that is going thru his head, at that second.

So, we get past the half way point in the match, with him leading by 2 gmaes. He wants to take a bathroom break, and I figured that I need to go too. Chris walks in behind me and starts up his dialogue again. At a point in the conversation, I mentioned to him that I can't go to Tampa, even if I win. Chris promptly suggests that if that is the case, that I should forfeit to him. I decline. We return to the match and I win the next game to pull it within 1 game. At that point, I reconsidered and said "Tell ya what...give me $20 towards gas money and I'll give it to you". Now, the $20 wasn't a big deal. If anything, I didn't want to just give him a freebie, especially since I was finding him a bit obnoxious. Anyway, Chris declines the $20 buyout offer. In fact, he's a bit cocky about the situation, so much so, that it comes up after I win the next game, to tie it up at 8-8. Chris starts saying that he's gonna get the Q no matter what. If he wins, that is a given. If I win and don't go to Tampa, he gets it automatically, as the runner up, so "why should I pay you anything?"

At this point, I'm feeling a bit spiteful. I tell him that it doesn't work like the way he so neatly has it schemed out in his head. I tell him "How 'bout, if I win the qualifier, I can pay the $60 entry for the Championship round, then not go and STICK IT UP YOUR AZZ?" At that point, Chris blew up. "That is shady", "This is whats wrong with Pool", "I'm gonna tell the tournament directors EXACTLY what you are trying to do". Chris storms off to the tourney desk, yelling loud enough that several other matches in progress had to stop.

Well, long story short, the tournament directors confirmed that my scenario is correct. We finish the match, I won. The tourney director did make one last mediation attempt by asking me to graciously concede the qualifier to Chris. I thought about it and told him that if Chris gave me a formal apology AND bought my buddy Kevin a beer, then I would concede. Chris was not apologizing. No way. "Why should I apologize to that azzhole", "that guy is a scumbag"...and so on, as he was headed out the door.

So, looks like my qualifer is going to Josef Esterzon. Nice guy and was thrilled about getting the spot, when I called him. I hope he does well and has a great time.

Eric

Last edited:

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who all qualified?
I won a spot, had no sleep Saturday and survived.

Is there anywhere to get a players list from the U.S.Am board?

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won a qualifier. Unfortunately, there was some drama that came with it.

I can't go to Tampa for the Championship round, so my original plan was to give it up. I wanted to play in the qualifier, for the hell of it. For that matter, my entry was paid, so why not. So, I get to the finals and I wound up playing the winner of the loser's bracket, Chris Czonstka. Things started of uneventful, even though Chris has verbal diarrhea and has to verbalize every emotion that is going thru his head, at that second.

So, we get past the half way point in the match, with him leading by 2 gmaes. He wants to take a bathroom break, and I figured that I need to go too. Chris walks in behind me and starts up his dialogue again. At a point in the conversation, I mentioned to him that I can't go to Tampa, even if I win. Chris promptly suggests that if that is the case, that I should forfeit to him. I decline. We return to the match and I win the next game to pull it within 1 game. At that point, I reconsidered and said "Tell ya what...give me $20 towards gas money and I'll give it to you". Now, the $20 wasn't a big deal. If anything, I didn't want to just give him a freebie, especially since I was finding him a bit obnoxious. Anyway, Chris declines the $20 buyout offer. In fact, he's a bit cocky about the situation, so much so, that it comes up after I win the next game, to tie it up at 8-8. Chris starts saying that he's gonna get the Q no matter what. If he wins, that is a given. If I win and don't go to Tampa, he gets it automatically, as the runner up, so "why should I pay you anything?"

At this point, I'm feeling a bit spiteful. I tell him that it doesn't work like the way he so neatly has it schemed out in his head. I tell him "How 'bout, if I win the qualifier, I can pay the $60 entry for the Championship round, then not go and STICK IT UP YOUR AZZ?" At that point, Chris blew up. "That is shady", "This is whats wrong with Pool", "I'm gonna tell the tournament directors EXACTLY what you are trying to do". Chris storms off to the tourney desk, yelling loud enough that several other matches in progress had to stop.

Well, long story short, the tournament directors confirmed that my scenario is correct. We finish the match, I won. The tourney director did make one last mediation attempt by asking me to graciously concede the qualifier to Chris. I thought about it and told him that if Chris gave me a formal apology AND bought my buddy Kevin a beer, then I would concede. Chris was not apologizing. No way. "Why should I apologize to that azzhole", "that guy is a scumbag"...and so on, as he was headed out the door.

So, looks like my qualifer is going to Josef Esterzon. Nice guy and was thrilled about getting the spot, when I called him. I hope he does well and has a great time.

Eric

How does someone other than the person placing second get the spot (Which should be Chris)? Who is Josef and how does he fit in?

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
How does someone other than the person placing second get the spot (Which should be Chris)? Who is Josef and how does he fit in?

Chris was the runner up. Being that Chris stormed out without paying the entry fee, to go to Tampa (along with saying f this, f you guys, I'm nvr playing this again...), he effectively forfeited/declined. Josef was the guy that Chris beat in the loser's side finals...

Eric

TheSneak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played in the Silver Spring, MD qualifier at Galaxy Billiards. 139 men with 14 qualifying spots. I lost in the finals of my board. By the time I got there my head was spinning and I was so exhausted that it took me to the 3rd or 4th game to even make a ball! I wish everyone who qualified good luck in Tampa. Enjoy it! I'll get there next year.

Also: any tips on endurance for tournaments? I always seem to lose it by my 3rd or 4th match. :confused: