Straight and True?

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When someone asks you if a shaft or cue rolls "straight and true". What's the difference between straight and true?:confused::confused:

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
When someone asks you if a shaft or cue rolls "straight and true". What's the difference between straight and true?:confused::confused:

I believe there is a difference but it's all just perspective....

Straight = physically straight....when you roll a shaft on a table and see no deviation of light under it. Same for the butt....rolls straight with no seen deviation.
The two halves can be physically straight but once they are coupled the cue is not rolling true.
Any cueoligist can immediately tell you what's wrong at this point and "generally" perform an easy fix.
You can also have a cue that is not straight but can generally be made to roll true.
The idea check for seeing if a cue is rolling true or not is to snug the shaft to the butt and with the back end resting on the bed of the table and the joint on the rail....roll the cue and watch the tip. If the tip doesn't "wobble" the cue is running true.
In order for a cue to run true only 3 things need to line up on a straight line.
The tip...the joint...the butt cap.
A cue that has a bent shaft and/or butt can be made to run true but won't be straight.

Hope that helps and is strictly my opinion on straight and true.
;)

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe there is a difference but it's all just perspective....

Straight = physically straight....when you roll a shaft on a table and see no deviation of light under it. Same for the butt....rolls straight with no seen deviation.
The two halves can be physically straight but once they are coupled the cue is not rolling true.
Any cueoligist can immediately tell you what's wrong at this point and "generally" perform an easy fix.
You can also have a cue that is not straight but can generally be made to roll true.
The idea check for seeing if a cue is rolling true or not is to snug the shaft to the butt and with the back end resting on the bed of the table and the joint on the rail....roll the cue and watch the tip. If the tip doesn't "wobble" the cue is running true.
In order for a cue to run true only 3 things need to line up on a straight line.
The tip...the joint...the butt cap.
A cue that has a bent shaft and/or butt can be made to run true but won't be straight. Or could I say "Yes, it is truly straight"

Hope that helps and is strictly my opinion on straight and true.
;)
Wow! Thanks for that.
How about in regards to just the shaft? I guess you can only say it's straight, correct?
Or I guess I could say "Yes, It's truly straight". :grin::grin:

Last edited:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! Thanks for that.
How about in regards to just the shaft? I guess you can only say it's straight, correct?
Or I guess I could say "Yes, It's truly straight". :grin::grin:

A shaft can have damage to the joint face. So once the shaft is screwed onto a mandrel it’ll no longer spin straight. But held in a collet->live center setup, a shaft can be spun straight. It’s lost it’s trueness in joint face to shaft center line relation.