Home table: short cues on long or short rails?

timetolose

Hello there,
Hope you can help. I want to buy a 7' pool table, but I have and "odd" room space and I must decide whether to use short cues on the sides of the long rails or on the sides of the short rails: what's the best choice?
Thanks in advance.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having to play a short stick on even one rail is a problem....but two??? I'd question
myself before I'd buy a table knowing that. Mitch

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
The table at our community center suffers the same woes; in this case it's only if the ball is within 2" of the short rails. I had Schelmke make me a 54" cue and works like a charm. I think I paid $100 for a very plain jane.

I would chose the short rails since you have only 1/2 the chance of landing "bad" and needing a short cue.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shove it into a corner and play bank pool! In reality I wouldn't get one if using a short cue in more than one spot was a issue.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Players and Schemkle both make shorter cues of decent quality.
Search fleabay for the best price.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had to buy 40 and 48 inch cues for my garage. You only need to use them at most 1/10 shots. You get used to it. It isn't that big of a deal

cc8ball

Go Red Sox!
Silver Member
Tight Sqweeze

Similar situations come up while playing the baroom pool leagues. There always seems to be one or two locations that have that tight sqweeze. And...these bars usually have one of those "just cut a foot off the butt end of a bar cue" to use. They're always beat to death and too light.

Because of this, I've taken an extra...not so good shaft, shorten it and turned it down to create a short shaft for my playing cue. Installed a ferrule and tip that I like and I end up with a cue that is familiar to me and works in those tight situations. By the way...the shaft is short enough to fit in the pocket on the front of my case.

Not that this is an answer to the original posters question. It is just an example of how one can get decent results in a those tight sqweeze situations.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
The best short cue I've used is the butt end of a nine iron
That's no shit
Try it, doesn't require chalk, burnishing, no mushrooming, great balance.
It is a little tough to draw the cueball, but what the heck, I can't make a ball with a shorty house cue.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the CB is at the head or foot rail, there are many times when you have to hit toward the opposite end of the table. (you dont want to use a short cue for a seven foot shot)

On my home table, I have to use a short cue when hitting from the "long rail" (side pocket) over toward the other side pocket. This sucks, but at least you are only hitting the CB a few feet, so this is what I would recommend for you.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
When the CB is at the head or foot rail, there are many times when you have to hit toward the opposite end of the table. (you dont want to use a short cue for a seven foot shot)

On my home table, I have to use a short cue when hitting from the "long rail" (side pocket) over toward the other side pocket. This sucks, but at least you are only hitting the CB a few feet, so this is what I would recommend for you.

This makes sense to me....all your long shots will be hit from the short rails...
...or from an angle if from the long rail.
So the length of the table is where you need the stroking room most.

Short cues are available with more weight in the butt....I tried one of them from AZ member
Gideon...they felt okay.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just having trouble visualizing a room where one or the other would cause this choice, I mean, is the room too narrow and/or too short sometimes?

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever you do, try not to let the naysayers talk you out of the table if it's at all workable.

I once had a 9 foot table in a room that was 13'-8" wide. That's 164" and if you start with the 50" playing width and add a 58" cue length on each side that's 166" not even allowing for drawback distance. Truth is, it was no big deal at all. I never even had a short cue. It was only a factor if the CB was frozen on the rail and you were shooting a dead 90 degrees across the table. When that happened I could just jack up a little.

Enjoy your table!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever you do, try not to let the naysayers talk you out of the table if it's at all workable.

I once had a 9 foot table in a room that was 13'-8" wide. That's 164" and if you start with the 50" playing width and add a 58" cue length on each side that's 166" not even allowing for drawback distance. Truth is, it was no big deal at all. I never even had a short cue. It was only a factor if the CB was frozen on the rail and you were shooting a dead 90 degrees across the table. When that happened I could just jack up a little.

Enjoy your table!

I completely agree. It is definitely worth it even if the playing conditions aren't perfect

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Short cues are available with more weight in the butt....I tried one of them from AZ member

Gideon...they felt okay.

I picked up the Troubleshooter cue (couldn't find the Balance Rite without playing an arm and a leg to ship to Canada). Cue feels okay but I agree with what someone else said in another thread about them - the tips they come with are garbage, so be prepared to swap it out immediately. The one PT hit with had a new LePro.