Any microphone advice for video recording?

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to record video of several people walking around talking and shooting pool. Good audio quality is important. The camera is a friends Panasonic HC-X920, which is a modern HD video camera.

On Amazon I found a system with a base station and four lapel wireless lapel mics. I assume the base station "mix out" can hook into the video camera.
http://amzn.com/B00PQZCCTG

Any other suggestions? Or brand / model suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff

Odysseus

Student of the game
Silver Member
Greetings. Lav audio system are generally pricey but are worth it because of the quality. Though the system that you listed from Amazon is probably quite good, it would not be my first choice. My experience with lavs is summed up by the phrase, “You get what you pay for.”

Being able to get “good” sound without reception drifting in and out or even just simply being able to isolate sound from a particular direction is something that you pay a premium for. In the end, however, it mostly depends on what is acceptable to you as sound is a very subjective topic.

I have spent a bit of time recording sound for my films in a multitude of environments and for your particular project- people playing pool presumably in a bar- it is likely that the sound coming from your camera would work just fine. Especially if the camera has XLR connections so that you can connect at least one good mic of your choice. The key is to ensure that you can monitor the sound and that you levels are set appropriately.

Hope this helps Jeff.

Odysseus

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
If you decide to go with a cheap wireless lav go with Pyle Pro... Still fairly cheap but it's a better choice..

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. To clarify, the filming will be in a quiet environment like a home gameroom.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Will this be streamed or will you have a chance to do some post production editing?

In either instance I would opt for a mixer and two condenser microphones placed around the room (hanging from the ceiling, one at the head rail and the other at the foot rail is ideal).

This will give you an audio stream that sounds like you're standing at the table. One caution is that condenser mics are very sensitive: If you've placed it near an HVAC vent, you'll hear the HVAC going on and off...and if it's blowing right into the mic, you'll hear the whoosh.

Also consider that you'll need an XLR cable long enough to run from each mic to the mixer, and another cable to run from the mixer to you camera's audio input. (You can record the audio and video separately, but it's extra post production work to match them up).

There are lots of good mixer and mic choices. These just come to mind because they're acceptable quality at a low price:

Mixer: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-802-Premium-8-Input-Preamps/dp/B000J5XS3C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1429467786&sr=8-4&keywords=4+channel+audio+mixer

Microphones: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-C-2-Matched-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B000CZ0RLU/ref=pd_cp_MI_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1D69BPV5ZMQNV7SGDQF8

Serif Movie 6 Plus is a very good video/audio editing software program that's only about $70.

I don't know why the pool streamers don't use a set-up like this. They'd need a few more channels on the mixer (to add commentary mics). It's cheap, reliable and mic'ing the table makes you feel like you're right there.

Last edited: