Ob 17emw...19oz

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought this from Seyberts. It is a discontinued model. It seems the only reason its is discontinued is the OB-1 + shaft. The butt is still available on OB website as an "order only".

The cue is absolutely beautiful! It is Gabon Ebony, with brown streaks and swirls in the wood. From a distance, it looks pitch black. You only see the detail up close under good lighting.

Long story as short as possible, I ordered it with a 30 inch OB Classic +. Seyberts called the next day to say they were sold out of the 30 in. Damn! They asked if a 29 inch was ok, a d I said sure. The next day again, they called and said the only 29 inch was defective. Crap! They offered the OB1+, or the OB1pro+. I decided to go with the 12.75mm version. At my request, they threw in a set of joint protectors. More on the shaft later.

The first thing I noticed when I got into shooting position was the balance. It was definitely different then my Predator. It seemed, how do I say it, more even from front to back. I kind of expected that due to my Predator having a stainless joint.

I shot about 20 stop shots. I have to admit...I was wrong about the shaft. I do like it. If you really pay attention to the hit, it's not dead or mushy as described by others. It is just quieter. Now grant it, it doesn't have the feedback of my Predator with a hard Moori on it. But it's not dead either. If I had to use an analogy, it would be like shooting a rifle with a silencer on it. It still has all its punch, but less noise.

Now for the wrap. It is black lizard leather. First thing I did was roll the cue on the table. It had a thump when rolling! WTF? I was distraught!!! Took shaft off... it rolled straight. Rolled butt alone... thump thump thump. At first I thought it was the butt section was installed incorrectly. After investigating, I found that the Lizard skin had a natural bump in it. It is the bumpy section on the lizard's back. It's not like cow or pig leather, which is smooth. But irregularities like alligator skin. I don't notice it when shooting. It is at the top of the wrap where I never grip. So it's a non issue. Just the nature of the lizard skin. .

The other "bad" part about the wrap is I can feel the seam. It has a sharpness to it. The seam looks extremely well cut and installed...as well seamed as the predator leatherette. It is It is because lizard skin is stiffer then leather, and the edge has a bit of sharpness to it.

In general I think it's a VERY well constructed cue. I have the suspicion that the hit feels so good, even with the maple ferrule, because of...
A... the Straight Line core construction and
B... the density of the Ebony.

Eventually I will probably replace the bumper and get an 8 inch extension for it. But for now, I'm just putting miles on the table with it. Probably have 10 hours of play with it now. Im really settling Into this cue. The Everest tip that came on it plays fine, but I might try a hard tip on it just to see what it will feel like.

There was no way I could pass up this deal. Paid $350.00 for the butt and shaft (black Friday sale). Normal price was about $600.00. And the butt alone goes for $440.00 on the OB website.

Will update at later time as I use it.

Last edited: