Powder device

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing is with gloves, I don't feel like I have the same feeling for control of my stroke speed......or the tightness of my closed bridge......the shafts on all my pool cues are absolutely pristine.......so I like the sensation of the smooth wood against my fingers as it helps me sense the speed of the pool stroke I.am trying to hit on every shot......especially soft hits on extreme cut shots. The two things I have never converted to using are LD shafts and pool gloves......strictly old school in my overall approach to pool.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing is with gloves, I don't feel like I have the same feeling for control of my stroke speed......or the tightness of my closed bridge......

I understand. I felt the same way at first concerning the speed and both my wife and a buddy had a hard time adjusting as well. However, as just about everything else in this silly game we play, over time you adjust and what seemed to be an obstacle/challenge becomes a thing of the past and an after thought.

One of the biggest things for me was before the glove during practice strokes I would feel the slightest imperfection or stickiness of my bridge (even when I used powder) and that would take my mind to places other than where it needed to be. That feeling never went away, no matter how much I played or practiced as it would pop up here and there out of the blue during a practice stroke. Glove solved that and I adjusted to the always smooth nearly resistant free stroke for my speed.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had never seen one of these talc dispensers.......I hate carrying a small can of talc in my case.

Last night I ordered one....the newer version 8400....for $19.95 shipped.......isn't a $20 bill worth
having it just in case.....and it looks cool versus the small can of talc or baby powder.

Porper has several types of tip trimmers.......which is the best version?......none are more than $20-25.
With ivory ferrules, and the inability to replace them if damaged after 7/1/16, it needs to be foolproof.

Matt B.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Years ago, I remember seeing an interview on Youtube, maybe Jasime Ouschan, and she re-filled an empty antiperspirant container with the ball roll-on head with talc.

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had never seen one of these talc dispensers.......I hate carrying a small can of talc in my case.

Last night I ordered one....the newer version 8400....for $19.95 shipped.......isn't a $20 bill worth
having it just in case.....and it looks cool versus the small can of talc or baby powder.

Porper has several types of tip trimmers.......which is the best version?......none are more than $20-25.
With ivory ferrules, and the inability to replace them if damaged after 7/1/16, it needs to be foolproof.

Matt B.

Here's the general idea, Matt. This amount of talc, which I very rarely use anyway, is way more than I used to apply. I just rolled it on the thumb/index finger joint, and also on the index/middle finger joint. Hope you like it. It's not sliced bread, but when I used it I thought it was an acceptable product. I always used Sterling talc; perhaps Johnson powder would also suffice. All metal and beautifully made.

PowderPro004.jpg

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine is already in transit....not that I can resume pool playing yet......bur the size is ideal.

I seldom use powder and sometimes someone wants to borrow mine. The small talc powder
canister I carry is much larger and bulkier. This is nice and compact and will fit into the large
pocket on my pool case really nicely......and it looks like it should last a lifetime too.

If I will spend extra money to use a premium chalk that eventually gets tossed, $20 for an item
like this is a no brainer as far as i'm concerned even if I never use it. It's the size and simplicity
that appeals to me........I think these would be great gifts.......I'd order a few if I could get the
person's name engraved......it should last a lifetime and a great way to be remembered every
time it was used..

Thanks,

Matt B.

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want the most consistency and less of a mess, then definitely get a glove. It feels weird for a few days, but you will get used to it. If you are really against using a glove, then you can reduce the amount of powder use by washing your hands before a match and keeping your cue clean/conditioned.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing is a glove is not a substitute for the feeling of wood against my fingers in a closed bridge which I shoot with the vast majority of times. Shaking hands wearing even the most expensive deer skin gloves doesn't feel anywhere the same as an actual handshake. The glove insulates the sensory feel of the cue shaft in my fingers and that's very important to me.

As far as shaft condition, all my cues' shafts are incredible.....ask anyone in Fresno that has seen my cues.....better than new.......I take extremely good care of them....... nary a mark, scuff, ding,dent, scrape.....nada......like satin and that's why I enjoy shooting with a closed bridge. It feels great when you use any of my cues......a glove would rob me of that feeling.....sensation....and that is an important element in my pool stroke......tightening my bridge and feeling the cue shaft glide again my fingers.......I'd miss that wearing a glove......but I can understand why people want to wear one when I see some of their cues........amazing how beat up some folks allow their equipment to get......like I said, if you played with my cues, you'd understand why using a glove would not be needed or desired.

Matt B.

p.s. I haven't actually used any talc for the probably the last 2-3 years; I just think this dispenser is easier and a lot cooler than a small can.