One Cushion on a Pool Table

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/LpFWcVIKWtg

This is actually a lot of fun.

Video of me playing around with one cushion on a pool table. One point for contact with second ball and at least one rail, in any order, before contact with the third ball. Alternating cue balls (white and yellow). Pockets are just hazards, so I spot anything that goes in, no penalty. You can use them to your advantage by making the second ball disappear to avoid a kiss, and to play position on the spot. Table is 9', but balls are 2.25" anyway. Hard to execute gather shots because of the pockets, so a lot more long distance points in this game. Also, rubber is softer (plays short and grabs more) and cloth is much slower than a billiards table, so it forces compensation and a good stroke. Reversals are possible but only with a ton of spin and crossed fingers. I'm not that great yet, but I'm liking it for what it is.

This is excellent for practicing your stroke (especially with a DigiCue!)

Here's a link to the real game, played by a master: https://youtu.be/-4HD_AZfSS4

Cue: OB-122 with OB-2+ shaft

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
nice

nice shooting nate

for billiards
try not to go down so low, stand a bit higher up for better vision,
as caudron displays

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm cross-eye dominant, maybe that makes me feel more comfortable being low.

This is an interesting question. I'll ask around.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm cross-eye dominant, maybe that makes me feel more comfortable being low.

This is an interesting question. I'll ask around.

I'm crossed eyed dominant and stand taller on the shot. I don't believe it makes a difference. It's what makes you feel good.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played straight rail on my pool table for years, bought a set of Aramith 62mm balls and went to work. Made up my own rules as regards balls falling into the pockets. It will definitely improve aspects of your pocket game. I never set out to be a billiards player but instead enjoy the insights and 'small game skills' that readily carry over to pool. Time well spent.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played straight rail on my pool table for years, bought a set of Aramith 62mm balls and went to work. Made up my own rules as regards balls falling into the pockets. It will definitely improve aspects of your pocket game. I never set out to be a billiards player but instead enjoy the insights and 'small game skills' that readily carry over to pool. Time well spent.

Thumbs up.

Interesting. The 62mm balls don't jump off the rails?

The nose height of the cushion should be 63-64% of the diameter of the ball. Using a 62mm ball on a pool table gives you a 57-58%.

You can fit 23 carom balls (62mm) from one long cushion to another long cushion on a 10' carom table (112"x56").

You can fit 22 1/4 pool balls (57mm) on a 9' pool table (100" x 50").

You can fit 20 1/2 carom balls on a 9' pool table.

Playing with carom balls on a pool table is 1.75 ball-width's easier than playing with pool balls, as far as targets are concerned. Playing carom with pool balls on a pool table is comparable to a 10' table with carom balls, except you lose out on speed and predictable rebounds. But maybe the extra 17% mass and moment of inertia of carom balls will help get more distance on pool cloth.

Nate

Last edited:

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont see any, in any carom dicipline, getting down with their chins on the cue

I was able to get ahold of some carom pros and ask them directly, and the conclusion is that it is a personal preference based on comfort and style. There is no advantage or disadvantage of stance height as long as you develop your spatial awareness of the playing field.