People with IPAT experience will be the
only ones to unerstand this.

Thanks for your help!

threshold?

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jodacus,
Not an expert here, as I just started playing with this yesterday myself. It looks like you have done the math correctly. It appears to be set up such that if you hit the "target" score, you will, after multiplying by the factor, wind up with a score of 100%. Obviously, any score over the target will produce a score in excess of 100%. Good luck, Steve

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
IPAT booklet ????

Steve.
So is it your take that the target number
is the goal? If that is the case then why the
factor multiplier? The directions are very poor.

I wish the book would give us a real world step
by step example using the first test rather than
that crappy label page.

Maybe someone here can help us.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I have an Excel document you can plug your raw scores into. It does the calculations by itself.

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jodacus,
I suppose you can set your own target where ever you please. In the instructions the suggestion was any drill you average under 80% needs work or more practice. If you hit 800 points total (average of 80% on each drill) you are ready to proceed to PAT2. I'm just approaching 2 years of playing so take all this with a grain of salt. I averaged over 80% on the entire test but do not feel I have come close to mastering the drills-no where near it. I will probably not move on till I score somewhere in the 1100's or more. I want to get to the point where I can occasionally run each drill. My sense is that you will know when you are where you need to be. You will have a plan to run the drill and be consistent in your shot making and ability to get position for subsequent shots. As I run thru these drills I know when I have got out of position, I may continue to make shots, but I know until I can hit my positions correctly I have not mastered the drill. I wouldn't get too caught up in the numbers other than to establish a base line for yourself so you can look back in the future and measure your improvement or discover where you need more work. Stay in stroke, Steve

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
OK, I am assuming that you are using the Starter book, and NOT Test 1. I dont have the Starter book, but I can tell you that it's important for you to note on the book score sheet next to each drill # row, the total score for that drill. And that max score is noted at the top of each drill description page. Knowing that max score helps to understand what your actual score you generate is in comparison.

For the purposes of understanding how to calculate I am going to take your numbers and use them as if you were doing drill # 1 in test # 1 since that's what I have.

You complete 3 attempts on drill # 1. The max score for the drill is 120. Your total attempts are 3, 4, & 4 for a total of 11. In this example the target average is 3.33. The maximum average is 4. You need to divide your total inning score of (11) by (3) which generates an average of 3.66. In this case drill #1 of Test # 1 has a factor of 30. Take your generated average of 3.66 and multiply that by the factor of 30 to generate a drill score of 109.99 or actually 110. So out of a max score of 120 you get 110. That winds up being 91.66% of the max score for the first drill.

That constitutes a very high performance level for that drill and if you consistently achieve that then you can consider dropping that drill for regular practice and instead work on the drills that you achieve under 80% or even under 90%. On the other hand if you are looking to achieve levels of say 95% or better on all the drills then you can choose to keep working on the given drill.

I train under the IPAT tests 1, 2 & 3 personally. I practice the IPAT test 1 completely at the end of the week. Before then I choose to work on 2 of the drills each day that I am at a table. And I schedule 25 attempts on each drill during that training session. And I keep records of my score on each of those attempts. At the end of the month, I will generate 4 complete PAT 1 tests. Afterwards, I schedule 2 more additional days to self test myself under PAT 2 & PAT 3 just to see how my training efforts are helping on the more difficult test levels.

My high score in self testing is 1,123 for PAT 1. That's the equivalent of being ranked around # 86 in the world. That is not official however, since I have not taken the test officially. And I wont until I begin to average a score of 1,400+ on my self test. Then I will schedule an official test. I'm either going to score #1 in the world or at the very least make it in the top 10 on PAT 1.

Afterwards I will then work on PAT 2 full time and begin the process all over again.

I hope this gives you an easier understanding of how to calculate your IPAT scores. When you move into PAT 1 let me know and I can help you a bit more with some forms that I created that are more informative and easier to understand than what are in the PAT books.

stunshotDAVE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IPAT details.

if you want to get some good insight into IPAT, you can go to poolstudent.com. i worked with the moderator of the site extensively on the IPAT system reviews. if you do take the initiative to actually visit, just search the "reviews" section.

i am sure, if you P.M. John B.[poolstudent], he will sent the score sheet designed for IPAT. you just look up the number of balls made for a drill, and beside it is the calculated actual score. very simple, no equations involved.

hope you persevere in you efforts in IPAT,over a short time, it will greatly improve your actual ability to be consistent, each visit to the table.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Thank You

David,

Thank you for the explanation of the math, that was exactly what I was looking for.

OK, I am assuming that you are using the Starter book, and NOT Test 1. I dont have the Starter book, but I can tell you that it's important for you to note on the book score sheet next to each drill # row, the total score for that drill. And that max score is noted at the top of each drill description page. Knowing that max score helps to understand what your actual score you generate is in comparison.

For the purposes of understanding how to calculate I am going to take your numbers and use them as if you were doing drill # 1 in test # 1 since that's what I have.

You complete 3 attempts on drill # 1. The max score for the drill is 120. Your total attempts are 3, 4, & 4 for a total of 11. In this example the target average is 3.33. The maximum average is 4. You need to divide your total inning score of (11) by (3) which generates an average of 3.66. In this case drill #1 of Test # 1 has a factor of 30. Take your generated average of 3.66 and multiply that by the factor of 30 to generate a drill score of 109.99 or actually 110. So out of a max score of 120 you get 110. That winds up being 91.66% of the max score for the first drill.

That constitutes a very high performance level for that drill and if you consistently achieve that then you can consider dropping that drill for regular practice and instead work on the drills that you achieve under 80% or even under 90%. On the other hand if you are looking to achieve levels of say 95% or better on all the drills then you can choose to keep working on the given drill.

I train under the IPAT tests 1, 2 & 3 personally. I practice the IPAT test 1 completely at the end of the week. Before then I choose to work on 2 of the drills each day that I am at a table. And I schedule 25 attempts on each drill during that training session. And I keep records of my score on each of those attempts. At the end of the month, I will generate 4 complete PAT 1 tests. Afterwards, I schedule 2 more additional days to self test myself under PAT 2 & PAT 3 just to see how my training efforts are helping on the more difficult test levels.

My high score in self testing is 1,123 for PAT 1. That's the equivalent of being ranked around # 86 in the world. That is not official however, since I have not taken the test officially. And I wont until I begin to average a score of 1,400+ on my self test. Then I will schedule an official test. I'm either going to score #1 in the world or at the very least make it in the top 10 on PAT 1.

Afterwards I will then work on PAT 2 full time and begin the process all over again.

I hope this gives you an easier understanding of how to calculate your IPAT scores. When you move into PAT 1 let me know and I can help you a bit more with some forms that I created that are more informative and easier to understand than what are in the PAT books.