Forearm points install question

keninar

Registered
Hobbyist here – with another question, this time regarding installing points on a forearm.

Have researched and feel reasonably comfortable with the layered veneers, joining them at a 45 for the inset and shaping the solid block for the point. Now comes cutting the tapered V-grooves to accept the assembly. Have the bit and mechanics to index the stock on the lathe as well as setting the taper to control the length of the V-groove.

It the V-groove normally cut after the forearm has been tapered a shade proud of the final dimensions? Or before the tapering begins?

As always, Thanks for educating those of us without the experience!!

ken

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hobbyist here – with another question, this time regarding installing points on a forearm.

Have researched and feel reasonably comfortable with the layered veneers, joining them at a 45 for the inset and shaping the solid block for the point. Now comes cutting the tapered V-grooves to accept the assembly. Have the bit and mechanics to index the stock on the lathe as well as setting the taper to control the length of the V-groove.

It the V-groove normally cut after the forearm has been tapered a shade proud of the final dimensions? Or before the tapering begins?

As always, Thanks for educating those of us without the experience!!

ken

Building cues is best done in increments. I taper the main forearm wood months before
I cut the points.

Mario

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My forearms are tapered to .900 at the joint when I cut the points in. I’m sure others do things differently.

Pete Tonkin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes the front is tapered before I cut point slots
I use the dia at the forearm base as a reference.

1.150 cut point slots
1.125 A joint ring and bridge work if needed
1.100 install handle
1.082 inlay work
1.072 second round of inlay work if needed
1.062 finish size

keninar

Registered
Thanks to all for your responses. Very helpful. Special Thanks to Mr. Tonkin for the dia reference information!!
Appreciate the willingness to share and educate!

ken