Titlist Hoppe dating

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I notice that in dating the Hoppe cues that the labels tend to aide in dating them. What about certain material characteristics? I know war time cues used a black joint, metal pin because brass was restricted. What about the ivory rings? I have seen two Hoppe ring sizes in Titlist cues... the fat 3/8 ring and a thinner 3/16 ring as shown in the two examples.

Note the one forearm has the Bullseye stamp...

JV

Attachments

• hoppe_butt_hi.jpg
    hoppe_butt_hi.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 655
  • 109_butt.jpg
    109_butt.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 639
  • 109_fore.jpg
    109_fore.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 647

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't visit here often or I would have responded to this.

Check the link at the bottom of this post - it's very old information, but basically describes how I date Titlists and Hoppe Pros. I plan to update the labels and some of the dates, but just haven't gotten around to it.

I would have to go back and check scans, but almost all of the early '40s HP's have the wider rings - one exception I remember owning was a brownish-orange one with the shield-style weight-stamp on the forearm....so it might have to do somewhat with the wood used. Chris Tate could certainly chime in here, if he sees this thread.

The best way to correlate ring width with age would be to get familiar with the three basic fonts of the 'B' in 'Brunswick' on the blue labels - you will only see ivory rings on the two earlier versions, and not so often on the second-earliest (1950's). Fascinating stuff - please visit my site and feel free to email me with questions.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Also, keep in mind that the Hoppe name was being applied in late 1940. That limits the dating of the curly B drastically.