My Kobe Cue

nbc

Cuefather
Silver Member
Haven't posted in a long, long while.

Have recently returned to playing again... a couple of years ago, during a visit to my Optometrist... i found out I was right eye dominant.

So, being left handed... and aiming with my left eye before... you can just imagine how poorly i played before. Didn't stop me from collecting cues though. LOL.

I had to re-learn aiming... and it really hurt my neck and back for awhile... playing with my left hand and aiming with my right eye... but, now, my accuracy has increased quite a bit.

Okay... now onto the cue. Am a big Lakers fan... always have been, always will.

And, I do like Kobe as well.

So, I had Bebot Bautista and his son, Mervin Bautista, make me a Kobe cue. Some like it, some hate it. What can i say? LOL.

nbc

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Well I don't care for the Lakers or Kobe but it's a good looking cue.

I suppose it looks factory made but it's not. That must mean soothing. Hope you enjoy it.

I am a right handed but I am left eye dominant. It took me a while to figure out but once I got it 😊. I also play lefty, my daughter taught me.😃

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Neat looking cue long as u like it. That's what matters. Its made by great maker so I'm sure it hits great :grin-square:

nbc

Cuefather
Silver Member
The cue does hit great.

And I do have more "standard" looking cues... points, veneers, Titlist styles. Some very custom style cues. A Southwest or two.

However, I saw how difficult it was for Mervin to do the number inlays for this cue... lol. So, it is pretty special for me. ;)

nbc

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
If you think that's a good looking cue, you need to go back and see your optometrist again... ;)

Not my cup of tea, but very cool idea, and I can't even imagine how much work went into those inlays!

nbc

Cuefather
Silver Member
To each his own. ;)

This is more of a tribute cue really. Still, I am pretty biased just because of the fact that I do love the Lakers and I like Kobe. Haha.

I'd rather have this than a converted Dufferin in my collection.

This cue will generate a lot more conversation, good and bad, compared to a converted house cue. :p

nbc

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm known to throw out a criticism before a compliment about pool cue designs.
And I have to admit this design in its present form is merely okay......I'd grade the design a "C".

The cue offers more of a nostalgic feel with its Kobe Bryant theme than a novel or innovative design.
If it had been my build, I might have even inquired about miniature basketballs as inlays in the points.

One change I'd make is its wrap-less design. I think this cue would look so much better with a leather
wrap....Lizard, Elephant Ear, or Spanish Bull. I'd go with a stain in the brown range, maybe even cognac.
I'd have to ask the cue-maker about the darkness of the leather stain. If Iwas unsure, then gray elephant ear.

Now keep in mind I don't like leather wraps.......strictly Cortland Linen up until now. But from a design aspect,
I think this would accentuate the cue's appearance and I'd then change my grade rating to "B"......just my 2 cents.

Matt B.

Last edited:

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I'm not a big fan of using someone's signature without permission. I don't know how Phillipino law feels about it.

It stems from a company using my photos without permission before they were formally copyrighted and telling me to go f'myself when I asked they be taken down.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Uh oh.....I didn't realize that was facsimile of Kobe's signature.........Sorry, if that's the case,
screw my prior post and just give this cue a "F" which stands for "Firewood" & "Forgery".
That's just wrong and copyright laws have been broken.......you can't do that shit......Very Bad.

Matt B.

The Right of Publicity

A person’s right of publicity is the right to protect his or her name or likeness from being commercially exploited without consent and,
potentially, compensation. In one sense the right is treated like a property right (the right to profit from the use of one’s own image or
identity). In another sense it’s treated like a privacy right (protection from unjustified intrusion and exploitation).

To avoid violating someone’s right of publicity you must be careful about using their:
◾image (photos, videos, film);
◾likeness (drawings, paintings, prints, etc.);
◾name (this includes nicknames and former names);
◾voice; or
◾signature.

Last edited: