11988362_1108265109203579_2015634756720258760_n.jpg

Capture aaZ.jpg

UMkiogv.gif

[/COLOR]

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vanover was on quite a tear in the '80s!
6 years in a row Bob Vanover was unbeatable on those tables with winner break format.

In the finals one year he won the lag and ran the whole set (9 pack) only shot his opponent got was the lag lol

BrianaBrown13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its kind of funny, when Vanover ran out that set, nobody complained of the racking, these days, someone runs 2 racks and gets accused of all kinds of this things. Seems like we have 400 rack inspectors out there. Also, haven't heard any pro's running out 8 or 9 racks in quite some time. Can you imagine David Matlock with a magic rack, on a valley barbox with simonis.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
David Harcrowe is one of my AZ friends....his Brother won this title in 1987...
...so I would really appreciate if his name was spelled properly on the list of champions...
...his name is Calvin Harcrowe.........not Clavin.

...and I would like the finals to be Gilbert Rojas vs Gilbert Rojas...
....I favor the one NOT from SA.....Robstown seems like a winning name....:smile:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...so I would really appreciate if his name was spelled properly on the list of champions...
...his name is Calvin Harcrowe.........not Clavin.

....I favor the one NOT from SA.....Robstown seems like a winning name....:smile:
You'd think one of them would go by his middle name for the tournament!

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...his name is Calvin Harcrowe.........not Clavin

I got the list of champions from The Texas Open site here http://skinnybobs.com/past-winners-texas-open-9-ball/

i fixed my list and changed it on the other post :thumbup:

AtLarge pointed out Jack Breit and Gabe Owen were misspelled also i fixed them too :D

Capture aaZ.jpg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
...his name is Calvin Harcrowe.........not Clavin

I got the list of champions from The Texas Open site here http://skinnybobs.com/past-winners-texas-open-9-ball/

i fixed my list and changed it on the other post :thumbup:

AtLarge pointed out Jack Breit and Gabe Owen were misspelled also i fixed them too :D

View attachment 395209

I like visiting AZ.....Terry Hanna and AtLarge make the visit even better...:bow-down:

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I remember the tournament in 1978. The finals match,,, guy next to me asks, hey you want to bet a hundred. I said who do you like. He said James, I said they are both named James and he said I don't care, you pick one and I will bet on the other. That was James Christopher who won vs James "Bastrop" Davis.

I think I knew James Bastrop for 15 years before learning his real name.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Cuesmith

Ron Guyer has already set up shop on the new side of Skinny Bobs and will be there through Sunday. One of the best around here and a really nice guy. Cleaned up mine during BCA last night. Not that he needs the plug but I thought I would put it out there.

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Yep, going to play this year for the first time! I directed the Texas State 9 Ball Championships for 7 years and have been a spectator at maybe 20 over the years.

Started practicing daily about three weeks ago hoping to knock the rust off for the tourney. Found out I'm rusted through and my wheels are shot! When looking down the table, all I see are little fuzzy footballs! LOL

Just going to go up, have fun and hang out with many friends I haven't seen in a long time!

Stones

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
6 years in a row Bob Vanover was unbeatable on those tables with winner break format.

In the finals one year he won the lag and ran the whole set (9 pack) only shot his opponent got was the lag lol

I have to mention this is an incorrect statement (he didn't break first), kind of like how people say Mosconi just quit after running 526 balls (he missed). That said, you're right, Bob was pretty much unbeatable in that tournament.