Who makes a decently priced 4x8 or 5x10 hard case

toothless_dave

Registered
I've been looking for a while for a 4x8 or 5x10 hard cue case and just can't find what I'm looking for. I have a Porper 4x8 and it's worked so far but I don't like the sort of soft bottom. I have seen a few but don't have the $4-500 to invest. There's always the $110 action but I have had issues with the rubber cutouts in the lid grabbing a hold of joint protectors and not wanting to let go. Any leads or suggestions?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've been looking for a while for a 4x8 or 5x10 hard cue case and just can't find what I'm looking for. I have a Porper 4x8 and it's worked so far but I don't like the sort of soft bottom. I have seen a few but don't have the $4-500 to invest. There's always the $110 action but I have had issues with the rubber cutouts in the lid grabbing a hold of joint protectors and not wanting to let go. Any leads or suggestions?

JB Cases....here's a nylon one for $279....4x8

image.jpeg

toothless_dave

Registered
Is that a soft case? I've been looking for a hard type case. I've never been fond of those fold in half type cases either. I'll have to look that one up. I'm also a fan of a flip back lid style over the butterfly opening...I think that's what you call it.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I think 1 color JB ultimate rugged 4x8 is around 200. I believe they do 6x12 butterfly as well.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

We do. Here are the 4x8 cases we have in stock.

https://jbcases.com/stock-cases.html?dir=asc&order=qty&size=53

We can also modify a 4x8 to be a 5x10 but the padding is reduced considerably.

You will find that pretty much everything about our cases is of a much higher quality than any other models in the same price class. And if not send it back for a full refund. If you decide to keep it you have a lifetime warranty.

We also have an online designer where you can build your own case with over a million combinations. The cost to do that is typically $10-20 more than ordering stock in the same colors unless you start adding names, logos, shapes, and more accessories.

Please take a look and see if we can't satisfy your need.

John Barton
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Also our semi-hard butterfly cases are much more firm than the competition's. Ours can be used as stand-alone drop in cases due to our design. They are NOT soft cases.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
for me a great case,,,,sterling wave
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sterlin...262628?hash=item33a139f6e4:g:xlwAAOSwstxVMsD~
Sterling Wave 4x8 Black HARD VINYL CASE

Wave 4x8 black case is a new design featuring an exterior made from durable nylon.
Organic Rebound interior, roomy easy-access pockets, ergonomic handle and shoulder straps with metal clips, two backpack style straps with non-slip rubber pads.
Interior features lush fabric buffered by foam rubber so that the cue parts are cradled and secure.
Organic Rebound refers to the spring-like effect when the cue is placed in the case.
The cue parts will gently rise to be just above the lip of the case when opened making the cues really easy to extract.
The cues are fully protected by polypropylene tubing that is made from our own composition.
The bottoms of the cases are made with non-slip rubber and the interior is secured with wood and EVA foam rubber that will never wear out.
All zippers are self-healing YKK with rubber zipper pulls.
All stress points are reinforced.
The case holds up to 31.5" inch cues to the top of the open tube and has an extra half inch buffer with the top lid.
Case dimensions: Length 34 inches, Width 6 inches, Depth 3.75 inches.
The case has two accessory compartments for chalk, tip tools and other related pool items.
The hand grip is perfectly round to allow your hand to comfortably wrap around it and feels good in any position.
Backpack shoulder straps that curve into the neck and ride on the shoulder comfortably.
This reduces the perceived weight of the case as the load is spread out and the strap does not dig into your shoulder.
Two straps are included so that you can wear the case on the right or left or even use it as a backpack if you choose.
I am confident that you will be completely satisfied.
Case weight is 4.69 pounds. (2.13kg)
Watch this video to see how versatile this case is and easy to load, too!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6k8S1AAjnw

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
here is an old thread discussing jb rugged and sterling wave
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=318285&highlight=sterling
for the record
i own several jb rugged cases too
my complaint about the zippers on the jb not going all around the edge of the pocket to allow the pocket to "filet"" open giving better access to whats inside has been corrected since it is now an option to get the zippers that way
also you can get it with back pack straps which for is is much more comfotable because of the weight of the case (both) if full
john may want to comment on that
the sterling is alittle chealer and has a different look
you can find different syles if you do a search
but
they are both great cases and you cant go wrong with either one
i highly recommend both

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It says "not in stock" on most of them.

66 items, 9 are in stock.

One question, as I'm also interested in a 4x8 leather butterfly and possibly
a 3x6 regular; when you open these cases will there be someone's Vietnamese
name written in huge font inserted somewhere in a very visible spot?

Nothing against Vietnamese people or anyone who proudly makes a good
product, just don't want some other person's name in MY case every time I
open up the dang thing....lol

Just a Quick Edit here:

I'm looking at this case as an example of the butterfly cases:
https://jbcases.com/stock-cases/4x8-nylon-butterfly.html

and it looks like the zippers on the pockets are on the opposite side of the main
zippers that open up the case.
Is this logical?
Can you, or someone else, explain why this case is designed like that.
Looks like people would have to open up the case for the cues on one side and
always turn it around to get to the pockets.

Last edited:

toothless_dave

Registered
Thanks everybody for all the info. I've been looking at the JB cases and like what I see. I'll probably do some custom colors and have a SF Giants theme. Can't beat that.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instroke premier series is priced decently and the quality is outstanding!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Thanks everybody for all the info. I've been looking at the JB cases and like what I see. I'll probably do some custom colors and have a SF Giants theme. Can't beat that.

This may help...Alex Pagulayan travels a lot...so his cases are very important to him.
He's a big JB Cases customer

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member

Just a Quick Edit here:

and it looks like the zippers on the pockets are on the opposite side of the main
Is this logical?

John's butterfly cases are awesome. I had a 6x12 a couple years ago, have a 4x8 with a few extras in it on order now. Full leather with some tooling. Backpack straps too. It does appear in hour picture that the pocket zippers are opposite of the regular zippers. Customer couldve requested it for that one. You can order it anyway you want when placing an order.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Customer couldve requested it for that one. You can order it anyway you want when placing an order.

OK, that's good to know.
Of all the butterflies I looked at they all had the pocket zippers on the opposite side from the main zipper.
In either case if one can order it with the pocket zippers on the same side as the main then problem solved.

Thanks for the info.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Just a Quick Edit here:

Is this logical?

Yes, 9 were in stock that day. We post all the cases we make and so if someone wants to order that particular combination they can if they don't mind waiting a few weeks. Because we already made one we have all the instructions already set. In stock items can be shipped same day if ordered before 3pm CST. Out of stock items usually take 2-4 weeks depending on the case. A few can take 6 weeks or more. A customer can easily sort the results so as to see the in-stock items at the top of the list.

For the name thing I am not 100% sure what you are getting at but the only time any of of our Chinese staff put their names on the case is when I want the artist to sign his work in regards to the tooling. I do this on "big" cases where we do original art. The name is not generally in a conspicuous spot.

The reason I make the zippers open on the handle side is so that leaving a zipper open doesn't automatically result in all of the contents falling out of the case when it is picked up by the side handle. I do this on all of our cases by default.

Of course as we are a custom shop we will make the zippers go whatever direction you want them too if it's physically possible to do it.

When I design cases I don't generally follow the herd. I try to think of ways to make them better and easier to use with more practicality. There is a reason for every aspect of the case even if that reason isn't obvious. Regarding getting into the pockets on our butterfly cases. Generally the way they are used is that the case is closed or mostly closed when the user wants to access the pockets. So getting into them is really no different than getting into any of our other cases. In fact for the butterfly cases it's actually better as the case can stand upright on the zipper side and the pockets are all easy to get into.

We are however proud of our willingness to build the case to suit your needs and to your specifications. Just contact us and we will be happy to help.