Practice Routine???

ProZack

Zack's "On the Road" Cue Repair
Silver Member
I try to my best to Practice the proper way. When I start I just throw out a few racks to get warmed up, then I set up either a few different trouble shots or drills, then I play straight pool for awhile trying to beat my high run of 62.

But I really feel like I could have a more structured practice routine. When a athlete trains he trains specific. And I think if I did the same I would increase productivity.

I wish I had something or someone to say DO THIS, THIS MANY TIMES.. NOW, THIS.....

Can some of you give me a few examples of your practice routine or ways to improve mine..

Thanks,
Zack

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Identify your weaknesses or things you want to work on. Specific shots, kicks, banks, safeties, etc.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend watching some of Robert Byrne's pool workout videos and following the progressive drill philosophy. As BR said, find the weaknesses in your game and create a chartable progressive drill so you can actually see yourself making progress.

For instance, if you've got a weakness for cut shots then set up a progressive cut shot drill where each shot gets tougher and tougher.

Byrne's Pool Workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhPdtAeigjs

Dr. Daves Progressive Drill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bocsbvuGLMk

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could look into the purchase of the book Play Great Pool by Mark Wilson. It is a fairly complete training mechanism including many section on the individual portions of basic technique along with drills to develop those techniques.

Another superior choice would be to check out the new video from TAR on Darren Appleton's training routine.

The best choice would be to get a long term coach/trainer but that option is not available to most pool players in the US. More common across the pond with the club system.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be a rare day when I don't practice. I start each practice with the straight stroke drill and combine it with speed control. I use measles cb on button. First, one speed down to other end cushion. Then lag with cb passing back over the button. Then three speed, cb passes the button twice. Then 4 speed with cb passing button a third time. 10 to 15 minutes every day.

I have hole protectors located a diamond apart corner to corner, used a laser to precisely place them. I start at one end with cb and ob one diamond apart. I hit one shot, using CTE/Pro One, with an a perception, one with a c perception. Then move ob one diamond more apart, repeat. Stop shots on all. The final shot is then with cb one diamond from corner pocket at one end and ob at the other end one diamond out. So I'm able to practice stop shot, straight stroke and CTE/Pro One on same drill. I have a mirror set up to the side where I can watch myself stroke on about half the shots.

I then put the ob center of table between third and fourth diamonds. I start with cb in center of table 1 1/2 diamonds away. This is approximate 1/2 ball hit to corner pockets. I then hit a shot with CTE/Pro One in each corner pocket. First round is using a and c perceptions with an outside sweep, next round is with b perception using inside sweep. I increase the distance between the cb and ob by 1/2 diamond and repeat until the cb is on the end rail. All of these shots use the same CTE/Pro One perceptions.

The fourth daily drill is to set up cb and ob 3 diamonds apart on a diagonal from one diamond in from corner pocket to the corner pocket on the same side. CB at diamond 2, ob at diamond 5. Hit 5 stop shots. Then 5 stop shots hitting as low on the cb as I can with as easy of a stroke a I can. Objective is to stop the cb and pocket ob at pocket speed. Great drill for killing the cb on cut shots. Then, 5 follow shots with goal of following the cb into the pocket. Of course I use CTE/Pro One for aiming. I then move cb one diamond closer to the ob on the diagonal. I practice a draw shot with a kind of specialty hinged wrist stroke Stan taught me. I start with a goal of drawing the cb back to the end rail with a 1 diamond rebound. Then 5 shots with one diamond of draw. I move the cb one diamond back and draw cb back to end rail with an spf stroke. Move cb one diamond further apart and repeat. One more diamond and repeat. This is kind of a hybrid of a mother drill Scott Lee taught me and one I saw on the Appleton drill dvd.

I do these 4 drills every day. From there, I usually practice some 45 and 60 degree perception shots. I set up some short finesse type English shots using another little specialty stroke Stan taught me. Then a longer English shot with the ob on the rail 2 diamonds from the corner and cb on the button with the goal of hitting a three rail position spot with inside English.

I then mix up drills from Mark Wilson's book, IPATS test books and from the Appleton drill video. Two or three days per week I'll play a few racks of minus 8 where I hit the ob's into the cb with the objective of caroming the ob into a pocket. This drill had helped my understanding of cb paths tremendously and really helped my safety play. Obviously, it helps your carom play as well.

I then play a few racks of Fargo, then the 9 Ball ghost. Lately, I've also been using that break tool contraption to practice my break.

With discipline, this can be done in 2 1/2 to 4 hours.

Last edited:

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
Do this many times.....make balls......now do this......make many balls......now do this......make 1000 balls a day for 30 days......now do this.....after completing the above tasks, pm me and we will refine your practice.

With tongue in cheek, i really am serious.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Instructor?

I try to my best to Practice the proper way. When I start I just throw out a few racks to get warmed up, then I set up either a few different trouble shots or drills, then I play straight pool for awhile trying to beat my high run of 62.

But I really feel like I could have a more structured practice routine. When a athlete trains he trains specific. And I think if I did the same I would increase productivity.

I wish I had something or someone to say DO THIS, THIS MANY TIMES.. NOW, THIS.....

Can some of you give me a few examples of your practice routine or ways to improve mine..

Thanks,
Zack

Have you considered an instructor?

It would be a challenge for me to suggest specific practice routines for you without seeing you play.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Instructor?

Thanks,
Zack

Have you considered an instructor?

It would be a challenge for me to suggest specific practice routines for you without seeing you play.

ProZack

Zack's "On the Road" Cue Repair
Silver Member
Yea, I have considered an instructor but where I live they are hard to come by. I have asked a few of the better players for help but its like talking to brick walls. I even offered them $$! I guess I'm going to continue what I'm doing until I get someone willing to help.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take notes about wich shots you tend to miss.
Buy a pack of those small binder stickers and practice those shots until you do them close to 100% of the time.
Doing drills for hours kills the joy of playing pool, so I mix it up between straight pool, ghost ball 9/10ball, drills and practicing shots I often miss.
Seems to be working for me.