Pool League Sofware

billy-ks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone recommend a good pool league software. I would rather find a stand alone software. I don't like the idea of going with a internet based one. It also has to have the option of using the 10 point and 9 point system.

thanks

billy-ks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boy I can't believe that no one knows anything about pool league software. What do all the league secretaries use to do there leagues. I know that there is Stick The Rock. I use that now but you can't use a 9 point scoring system and one of my leagues have that. I would rather just buy the program than use a web based system. Cmon guys, someone has to have some ideas that would lead me in the right direction.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
What's the reason for the preference "not" to go with a web-based system? I ask, because many of the "concerns" about web-based systems are unfounded, e.g.:

* "Always need to have an Internet connection." False. You just need Internet access to upload match scores. You can download entire sessions -- even those up to yesterday's (or even today's, if you uploaded the scores) in whatever form you want, place them on a memory stick, or print them out, convert them to spreadsheets, what-have-you.

* "There are privacy issues." Not true -- or partly true. It's only true if you override the administrator/player permissions, and allow more access than needed. The default in these systems is to lock-down access to only allow the league players to see scores and stats, that's all. You as the league administrator have a special login with its own administrator-level profile that's completely separate from the league players.

* "I lose exclusive control / cannot do what I want / league players have NO SAY in how I do my business." Although this sounds like a "control issue" on the part of the league administrator's personality, in general it's false. The web-based systems allow you to have full control of how the scores and stats appear to the league players, and you can lock-down access as much as you like -- further than the default, if you like.

* "You cannot manually adjust a player's handicap / skill-level with web-based systems." Completely false. While most web-based systems can implement auto-calculation and bump-up / bump-down the skill levels of players automatically, you can turn this off and make manual adjustments the normal mode.

* "There's just too much to configure / pain-in-the-*ss to setup a web-based system." Competely false -- there's no more effort to set these up than it does standalone/in-house software.

* ...there are probably others, but suffice to say, the stance of those that want in-house software are mostly jaded reasons. I once came from that camp, but after I saw web-based systems in action -- and how quickly revisions can be made -- I was a convert. I used to run the Boston Billiards league system (which was an in-house software-based system), and when I converted over to a web-based system, I now see how much better the leagues at Boston Billiards could've been run.

There are a few good ones (web-based) out there, that you really should look at. One that I use is PoolLeaguesOfAmerica.com.

There's a "PLA Demo League" that you can browse through, that shows you some of the capabilities. You can do team-based leagues, single-player round-robins (e.g. for 14.1), scotch doubles, etc. -- in any game format -- 8-ball, 9-/10-ball, 14.1, etc. And you can implement the handicapping any way you like -- ball spot and/or straight races, etc.

I hope you take a test drive -- it's really a good system.
-Sean