Upside-down Simonis..........

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure all the techs know this but maybe not everyone: Simonis has a up(play) side and a down side. Recently saw a table with new 860 that just looked/played funny. I asked owner if cloth was upside down and he looked at me like i was from Pluto. Easy to check: for one, the play side is slick with NO nap/fuzz. Two, "Simonis" is printed on the cloth's edge on the up/play side. I don't know about all the other worsted cloth makers but Simonis only shaves one side of their cloth. https://www.iwansimonis.com/en/page/20-marking

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just checked CPBA and they only shave one side as well. I'm guessing that Championship worsted's are the same.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
it must be guys who are simply OLD. Having never installed Simonis upside down myself, I can STILL sort of understand how they end up doing it. I think its because they have been installing "Nap" style cloth and its fuzzy... None the less, I would still be pissed if I were the customer!

Trent from Toledo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it must be guys who are simply OLD. Having never installed Simonis upside down myself, I can STILL sort of understand how they end up doing it. I think its because they have been installing "Nap" style cloth and its fuzzy... None the less, I would still be pissed if I were the customer!

Trent from Toledo
I agree its fairly obvious as to which side is the play side but it does happen. It is playable but slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. ;)

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Saw that in a local bar I was visiting once - their 1st time having Simonis installed iirc.
They'd expected to be more impressed... Broke it to them, but I'm not sure they were convinced.
Pretty obvious when you see it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One other Simonis id: on the up/play side Simonis uses a black-light viewable id strip. It repeats about every meter/3ft. It shows their name and the serial # of the roll the cloth came from.