14.1 on DIAMOND 10 FT PRO-AMS at Southern Classic Tunica, MS

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... If you got 16 people on this forum to buy a $160 entry right now, you basically just locked out the pros and created a tournament for you and your friends. ...

... and who would be watching that?

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The format is fine, but watching just 16 players is not going to win the pool populous over. Sorry, but I don't think this is what the game needs. I want to see more than four rounds to determine the winner.

Why would someone want to grab16 player/friends and lock out the pros. Just to play with their friends on a ten foot table? There are a lot of cheaper ways to play on a ten foot table. There needs to be a limit on how many purchased spots are made available. I guess you could get 16 friends together to buy the tournament and be assured of having a place to play pool.

Other than the number of purchased entries available I think this is a great idea. The more exposure 14.1 gets the better.

Andy

FASTEJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The format is fine, but watching just 16 players is not going to win the pool populous over. Sorry, but I don't think this is what the game needs. I want to see more than four rounds to determine the winner.

Why would someone want to grab16 player/friends and lock out the pros. Just to play with their friends on a ten foot table? There are a lot of cheaper ways to play on a ten foot table. There needs to be a limit on how many purchased spots are made available. I guess you could get 16 friends together to buy the tournament and be assured of having a place to play pool.

Other than the number of purchased entries available I think this is a great idea. The more exposure 14.1 gets the better.

Andy

With regards to your first paragraph, the tournament format is more than just four rounds. It is actually a 512 player single elimination bracket. If 512 separate players bought a Level 1 entry, there would be 9 rounds of play. And with 512 separate participants, I think the pool populous would be better off.

With regards to the second paragraph, that answer was just a response to lfigueroa because he was basically saying that there was absolutely no way anybody on this forum could win the $1000 guaranteed first prize if pros were playing. I just showed that there was a chance, and how it could be done.

With regards to the third paragraph, their is a limit to the number of purchased entries available. Once the bracket is full, that is the limit. That could be any combination between 512 Level 1 entries to 16 Level 6 entries. If you meant there were not enough entries available, the reason for that is because there are only 4 ten ft. tables available. This is not supposed to be a mega tournament for any of the 5 disciplines offered. I'm hoping in the future that I can provide a big 14.1 tournament that is open to all players. Thank you for your support in the exposure of 14.1.

Edward

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of responses to you comments. I'm sorry if you feel like I'm blowing smoke up your ass, but that's not my intention.

At least this format gives the opportunity for non professionals to enter. Not only do they get to enter, but they don't have to pay a fixed entry fee that is determined by any 14.1 tournament promoter. And by the way, you're welcome for even offering 14.1 as a tournament option. It's not like there is a 14.1 tournament offered every day of the week.

If you had gone to the website, www.payorplaypool.com, and clicked the registration button, you would have seen that nobody has signed up for the 14.1 tournament yet.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. There is a way to lock the pros out of this tournament. A smart person would notice that thanks to the gracious sponsors of the tournament, all of the entry fees are going to the prize fund. If you got 16 people on this forum to buy a $160 entry right now, you basically just locked out the pros and created a tournament for you and your friends. If you really wanted to get the best bang for your buck, you would find a combination of people to buy numerous $5 entries and fill up the tournament. So you're welcome again for the opportunity to participate in a tournament with your friends, basically for free, on very rare 10 ft. Diamond Pro-Am tables, because all money taken from entry fees go to the prize fund. Not really donating anymore, are you?

The PAY OR PLAY format is to help revive the billiards industry and get more participation from more players. If you can't find more positives than negatives from this format, then you can try to come up with one yourself.

Thanks.

Edward

I know it wasn't your intention, but that's what it was.

And honestly, this "it'll happen when it happens sometime during the week" approach is not doing anyone any favors, 14.1 or not.

I did go to your website and the format is about as clear as mud. And your suggestion of buying out the field is exactly the kind of thinking that is wrong with pool. The fix is in -- great. Now who wants to watch a bunch of shortstops struggle through a 14.1 match on 10' tables. Great for pool and the game of 14.1, no?

Lou Figueroa
that last part was
"a little secret"
I let you in on ;-)

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With regards to your first paragraph, the tournament format is more than just four rounds. It is actually a 512 player single elimination bracket. If 512 separate players bought a Level 1 entry, there would be 9 rounds of play. And with 512 separate participants, I think the pool populous would be better off.

With regards to the second paragraph, that answer was just a response to lfigueroa because he was basically saying that there was absolutely no way anybody on this forum could win the $1000 guaranteed first prize if pros were playing. I just showed that there was a chance, and how it could be done.

With regards to the third paragraph, their is a limit to the number of purchased entries available. Once the bracket is full, that is the limit. That could be any combination between 512 Level 1 entries to 16 Level 6 entries. If you meant there were not enough entries available, the reason for that is because there are only 4 ten ft. tables available. This is not supposed to be a mega tournament for any of the 5 disciplines offered. I'm hoping in the future that I can provide a big 14.1 tournament that is open to all players. Thank you for your support in the exposure of 14.1.

Edward

Lets try this again. If 16 players buy into round six it is a four round tournament.

I said there should be a limit of the number of entries that can be bought, as an arbitrary number make it 8, total. This will force other players to compete in the lower rounds.

I done.

Andy

Blackrose

Prophet Deadstroke
Ten Foot Diamond Pool Table

Has anyone received a quote from Diamond Billiards on a price for a ten footer?

nashville14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
price of 10 foot tables

some really nice old 10 foot tables come on the market fairly often. i expect that they bring less than half of what they would if they were 9 foot or even 8 foot. as always a motivated seller will give a better deal than a dealer. It looks like Snooker tables and 3 cushion tables often go at dirt cheap prices in the USA. Maybe 10 foot pool tables are not far behind. I think if someone watches and waits a bargain might be had on a vintage 10 foot table.
j