Unknown cue maker please help me

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol. That is funny. I couldn't resist in buying it when I saw the joint and the ringwork. Now I'm on a mission to find its maker. Thank you all for your help.

I think for $250 that is a good price even if the maker is never found out, that looks like a cue worth double that although the slight warp in the butt is a bit worrisome but if after 25 years it's at 1/16th of an inch it's likely not to turn into a U anytime soon. It does look a bit Scruggish, Tad has a similar look to the cues also although I am not very familiar with the ringwork he uses, seems similar.

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally found some info on this cue and will try to confirm it with Bob Fry. I found it here on AZbilliards forums 2011. I googled vintage Tim Scruggs cues for sale and looked at images. There were 2 similar cues like this one in one of the pictures and when I clicked on it azbilliards popped up. Lol. From what I read It's a Tim SCruggs cue 1978-79 made before his first catalog. He didn't mark his cues when he first started making them. His earlier cues only had ivory ferrules. The cue picture is identical to this one as far as ringwork, Cortland wrap and maple butt. It was made more for a player than a decorative cue. So what is it possibly worth as far as value? Anybody know?

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The butt cap/screw looks identical to the other cue you are asking info about. Both look to be Bourque.

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what's got be puzzled on the second cue I'm asking about. Lol. This one according to the information I found is definitely a Scruggs cue...but the other cue has similar characteristics which makes me a bit confused... But I here a lot of cue makers do use similar parts like screws joints etc.

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a difference in length. This cue is 58 inch which I think was standard length cue for Scruggs? And the other cue I'm asking about is 59 1/2" long.

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not convinced it is a Scruggs, it looks more like a Joss or Joss West. Standard length for most cue's is 58 inches. Bob Frey would be the best person to contact to help determine if it was a Scruggs. Again the ring work and joint collars don't resemble anything I have seen from Tim Scruggs, I think someone might be wishing a bit more since Tim passed away.

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there thank you for your input I will change the name and see if it will help make it easier for someone to identify. Your are not the only to mention Joss/JossWest. Thanks again. As a matter of fact here is the forum here on azbilliards that let me to believe it was Scruggs. It was about replacing a collar. these photos match this cue. thanks take care

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=256504

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there thank you for your input I will change the name and see if it will help make it easier for someone to identify. Your are not the only to mention Joss/JossWest. Thanks again. As a matter of fact here is the forum here on azbilliards that let me to believe it was Scruggs. It was about replacing a collar. these photos match this cue. thanks take care

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=256504

It looks like a match, ringwork is almost identical