Dr. Dave: English

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Dr Dave I love you, but...

those "standard definitions" apply to English speaking countries.

If the billiard pros of the world were to choose which language pool should be described it was written in English first.

However that language hasn't been adopted widely due to its impracticality.

Its nice you are spreading the gospel for bililards but sometimes language matters.

Its just not easy to use in conversation.

If this thread shows a consensus then most people struggle with the "standard terms."

Its doubtful they don't understand it, I think they just don't like the language used for it. I agree with them those terms are not helping anyone.

I am not fighting with you Dave. I am pushing to open you up to listening to the forum and considering what would be a more elegant expression for an international audience.

If it were up to me I would use math terms. But its not practical because most people don't have the math vocabulary.

My suggestion is join the club don't fight the club. No one is saying you are wrong all the time, but you can be tough to understand some of the times.

I didn't make up any of these terms (inside, outside, running, reverse, etc.). They have been around for a very long time and they are standard in both published pool works and speech. FYI, if you or others ever come across pool or gambling terms you don't know, standard definitions can be found here:

Pool Glossary

Regards,
Dave

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave I love you, but...

those "standard definitions" apply to English speaking countries.

If the billiard pros of the world were to choose which language pool should be described it was written in English first.

However that language hasn't been adopted widely due to its impracticality.

Its nice you are spreading the gospel for bililards but sometimes language matters.

Its just not easy to use in conversation.

If this thread shows a consensus then most people struggle with the "standard terms."

Its doubtful they don't understand it, I think they just don't like the language used for it. I agree with them those terms are not helping anyone.

I am not fighting with you Dave. I am pushing to open you up to listening to the forum and considering what would be a more elegant expression for an international audience.

If it were up to me I would use math terms. But its not practical because most people don't have the math vocabulary.

My suggestion is join the club don't fight the club. No one is saying you are wrong all the time, but you can be tough to understand some of the times.
HUH???? He's not making up new terms, they've been around forever. Even foreign players use them. About the only players that don't tend to be those coming from snooker as that game has its own set of terms/names.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
HUH???? He's not making up new terms, they've been around forever. Even foreign players use them. About the only players that don't tend to be those coming from snooker as that game has its own set of terms/names.

which set of instructions is easier to understand

hit with running reverse english

or hit it level on the right side of the center and little low

those written terms are outdated.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
which set of instructions is easier to understand

hit with running reverse english

or hit it level on the right side of the center and little low

those written terms are outdated.
No such thing as 'running reverse' english. Anyone that's played pool for over a week knows what inside/outside, running/reverse mean. Well, almost everyone i guess. They are standard terms that have stood test of time. They're not going anywhere.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I've never understood why we need separate names for the same types of spin interactions on different surfaces.

How is running english on a rail different from outside english on a ball?

Isn't inside english on a ball the same as reverse english on a rail?

What more descriptive terms could apply to both?

How about accelerating and braking spin?

pj
chgo

Deleted......

Last edited: