Pro-1 (CTE) by Stan Shuffet: 1st serious practice

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hi Stan Shuffet, Hi fellows, Hi know-a-holics :eek:)

played in the last 2-3 months almost no pool bc just workin with 2-3 students in the free time. But in the last 7-8 days finally found the time to also spent table-time and i really enjoyed it a lot. The last 3 days then i gave myself *a kick again* and started to give Pro-1 a chance. I have to say right on the beginning, that i was never taught in person if it s about cte, 90/90 or whatever. And that i m already playing since the very early 80 s makes it somehow also hard :)
I m no worldbeater-but can for sure still hit some balls and would say, that i m also *a bit knowledged* and also love to earn more knowledge.

Well- everyone who knows me, knows for sure that i m not a naysayer. And i followed the world-war-discussions for a long time. it s just still sad that in both parts we have some real aggressive clowns, who can really push peopel to stop completly to read here on AZB- not just sad, it is for sure stupid and silly!. Ok, that was again my opinion on these cyber wars ^^

Pool-Time!
Went to the table with wonderful new cloth- and set up some shots - overall in the range from 10 to 35/40 degree i would say.
As i told, i have never had a personal explanation-i just read here and there, and watched Stans DVD. I m teaching myself- but sure not a cte-based system!
So i started rockhard just with *trying* to align myself up, to see the 2 visual lines, which Stan describes on his DVD. Furthermore i made it to my clear goal, to not have a look at the object-ball, as i am used to do it. So i didn t pay attention to see the line from object ball to the pocket (Seriously!). From the whole conversations and threads, postings etc. i tried to keep for myself in mind, to NOT look/stare at the objectball-just for the special case to *see the 2 visual-lines*.
So the first shot came up- i aligned- stand behind whitey and tried to visualize / see the famouse 2 lines. It took a bit- i think it s normal, that it takes a bit, if you re not used to it. I slided down into the shot to bring my cue *center axis* behind the cueball and shot at whitey- with a smooth stroke about speed 1,5 - 2 i would say.
Again WITHOUT looking at the OB and the pocket....well, to my surprise the ball went in. i practised every time another angle (not completly different, but always another position, with a slightly different angle). From the first 30 balls i made 25 balls-- i was a bit amused. Because im (even now) not really believing-just strictly forcing myself to lign up, to see the 2 visuals (center/edge lines), to then finally sliding down into the shot (with auto-airpivoting like Stan describes it).

well as i said- i m no worldbeater, but i can run some racks (also in a row, lol)-- and im shooting for a longer time, learnt the hard oldschooled way. So this was for sure a hard martyrium for me-lol. And especially the point, where i set myself the main-goal- to NOT watch ob path to pocket...and also to NOT watch for the path of the aiming points...i followed this goal 100%.
i then spread out some racks and shot balls without numerous sequences or patterns- gave a f..ck on position. just here and there a stun or a slow rolling. By shooting 7 open tables, which would include 75 balls, i missed 9 balls.

So- here i would give my first personal statement to the naysayers from a oldschooled player, who also teaches, and also can run some balls. I am very sure that this system is not for everybody- and i have still the opinion that *other knowledge* is still needed to be a complete player. But this system has for sure his *right* to be shown to others. And i would go so far, that using *such a system like Pro-One* as an co-existent double-check system can be a great help.

I am still surprised, how i potted so many balls almost *blindly*.
I just tested for a while 90/90, after Dave Segal described me some things. Maybe i perhaps also aligned not perfectly like Stan would teach it, but i for sure slide always smoothly into the cueball position-bc that s what i teach also my students, to step from behind into the ball.

Perhaps that made it a bit easier for me, bc i m used to *stand above doing my sighting/seeing*- but im still impressed about myself (lmao), that i made such a high percentage of shots.
And of course i just chose *normal angles*- so i didn t take thin cuts, or straight in shots or banks.

At least: Hats off Stan for your work- even if i perhaps will never be a pure *cte user*- but i am sure, that this system can help many people.
(even if i have still *not answered* questions :p).

a positively surprised open minded *oldschooler*,

Ingo

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your experience and comments mimic mine when I started playing with CTE. Once I got the concepts and had some additional technical questions answered by Dave, Joey, and Stan I too couldn't believe how balls would just go in. And I too could play a little even before I started messing with it... :)

Scott

Bluey2King

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank You for your post and sharing.
I also have been working with pro1. I am self taught also just watched Stan's DVD and our friends on youtube. I have had a lay off for a couple of mounths, and just last night I went down to hit some balls focusing on the pro1 system. I like it very much though at some of the thinner angles I forget how to line up my visuals. On a very thin cut I would line up and think that not right but decided to shoot it anyway it went in sooo smoothy! I am still a work in progress, but I think I am getting it. I have watched Dave's video on banks and I am not getting the aim straight at the OB and 1/2 tip shift to the outside, and I think why is I dont have the visuals locked in for some reason.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Well,

i already talked with 2 knowledged guys again about it. I made this, because i m always curious about new stuff. Before i haven t tested something out, i would never say that something cannot work. The hardest part with Pro-1 for example is (i nmy opinion), that you really really just concentrate first to aligne properly and that you get the correct aproach and see the 2 lines perfectly- then finally you just focus on your Cueball-nothing else (that s hard for an old horse like me^^)- and then "just" finally bring your cue perfectly from behind to centeraxis and strike.

And you have to for sure invest some time. I teach myself, and i m able to teach several aiming systems-but for sure i would never teach pro-1 or another cte-based system. Just because im no expert. And like i shown up, i just test with one angle cathegory. And there it worked finally pretty well.

have a smooth stroke,

Ingo