My Aiming System

Tro

Insert Clever Title Here
Silver Member
Decide on which ball you are going to pocket.

Visualize a line extending from the pocket through the object ball.

Square your body up to the shot.

Take a step forward with your left foot. (your right foot if you're a lefty)

Bend down.

Get comfortable.

Line yourself up

Take a few practice strokes.

Hit the cueball into the object ball where your imaginary line extends from the pocket through the object ball.

How do you adjust for any and all variables that arent associated with a centerball hit? Practice and repetition.

Practice and repetition.

There's no substitute for table time.

There's no reason to overcomplicate aiming. Hit the object ball on the opposite side of the pocket.

Hit the object ball on the opposite side of the pocket.

Tro

Insert Clever Title Here
Silver Member
This is too simplistic. Table time can be more or less productive depending on your "learning system".

pj
chgo

I beg to differ.

When you strip everything else away and get down to the core of ball making, there's two things that you must do.

Hit the object ball on the face that is opposite the pocket.

Put in table time.

sheffield6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I beg to differ.

When you strip everything else away and get down to the core of ball making, there's two things that you must do.

Hit the object ball on the face that is opposite the pocket.

Put in table time.

bet you havent got a diagram for that, Mr Johnson

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
Decide on which ball you are going to pocket.

Visualize a line extending from the pocket through the object ball.

Square your body up to the shot.

Take a step forward with your left foot. (your right foot if you're a lefty)

Bend down.

Get comfortable.

Line yourself up

Take a few practice strokes.

Hit the cueball into the object ball where your imaginary line extends from the pocket through the object ball.

How do you adjust for any and all variables that arent associated with a centerball hit? Practice and repetition.

Practice and repetition.

There's no reason to overcomplicate aiming. Hit the object ball on the opposite side of the pocket.

Works great on paper, no offense but:

Like everything people have various talents in particular areas it may very well be that you have a natural awareness of where to hit the ball to put it in the pocket but to assume this will work for everyone is completely absurd.

Most players (and some bad teachers) will tell players “this works for me; I am good, therefore it will work for you and make you good”. This mentality is pure poison, not just in pool but most things.

Tro

Insert Clever Title Here
Silver Member
Works great on paper, no offense but:

Like everything people have various talents in particular areas it may very well be that you have a natural awareness of where to hit the ball to put it in the pocket but to assume this will work for everyone is completely absurd.

Most players (and some bad teachers) will tell players “this works for me; I am good, therefore it will work for you and make you good”. This mentality is pure poison, not just in pool but most things.

It will work for everyone. Put in the time and hit the object ball on the face opposite the pocket.

The problem I see is everyone over complicating how to make a ball.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
It will work for everyone.

This is a terrible premise. Really think about what you’re saying.

Put in the time and hit the object ball on the face opposite the pocket.

And how that is accomplished best is not the same for everyone, if you deny that fact you will not get that individual’s best possible results.

The problem I see is everyone over complicating how to make a ball.

I suspect that you are more of a “talker” than a “listener”. I could be wrong but I will bet your answer will be simply a repeat of what you already said.

Tro

Insert Clever Title Here
Silver Member
This is a terrible premise. Really think about what you’re saying.

And how that is accomplished best is not the same for everyone, if you deny that fact you will not get that individual’s best possible results.

I suspect that you are more of a “talker” than a “listener”. I could be wrong but I will bet your answer will be simply a repeat of what you already said.

Okay.

I take it back.

Striking the face of the object ball opposite of the pocket and putting in a lot of table time are not the foundation of ball making.

You win.

Ima go read a book.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
Okay.

I take it back.

Striking the face of the object ball opposite of the pocket and putting in a lot of table time are not the foundation of ball making.

You win.

Ima go read a book.

Your sarcasm has made me see the light, I can’t imagine what I was thinking all these years. I agree with you; anyone who is willing to spend enough time at the table (assuming they are not, handicapped like blind, wheelchair bound; missing a hand or arm etc.. etc..) trying to strike the ball opposite the pocket shouldn’t ever miss. Sarcasm; the rude attempt to solidify a weak position; and the book I suggest you start with is Byrnes Standard book of Pool & Billiards. This topic is hit on right in the 1st section under “fundamentals” (if memory serves).

Tro

Insert Clever Title Here
Silver Member
Your sarcasm has made me see the light, I can’t imagine what I was thinking all these years. I agree with you; anyone who is willing to spend enough time at the table (assuming they are not, handicapped like blind, wheelchair bound; missing a hand or arm etc.. etc..) trying to strike the ball opposite the pocket shouldn’t ever miss. Sarcasm; the rude attempt to solidify a weak position; and the book I suggest you start with is Byrnes Standard book of Pool & Billiards. This topic is hit on right in the 1st section under “fundamentals” (if memory serves).

I read it when I was 19. I own the byrnes set and the 99 critical shots of pool.

To make any of those shots, one has to ::drumroll::

Spin it any way you wish, but there's still no substitute for table time and you arent going to make the object ball if you dont hit it on the face opposite the pocket.

No matter how many books a person reads, videos they watch, snake oils they buy, left eye/right eye, shadows, lights, diamonds, etc....they wont be able to utilize any of it without putting in the time necessary to become adept at aiming.

I may have simplified everything, but I accuse the masses of armchair poolplayers of overly complicating a simple action.

Yes I miss. When I do, it isnt because I didnt line up the right star with the proper table light over the 3rd eye on my forehead. I miss because I didnt hit the ball in the right spot.

Wow, this is exhausting.

Love,
Mike

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Code:
Tro
I miss...a lot.

Yup, you're missing two letter "l"s ("ells") appended onto the end of your screenname.

-Sean

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This is too simplistic. Table time can be more or less productive depending on your "learning system".

pj
chgo
Tro:
I beg to differ.
No need to beg.

Put in table time.
Too simplistic. How you approach aiming can make a difference in how well and how fast you learn.

Put in quality table time to learn better and faster. For some this might mean using an aiming system.

You clearly haven't given this much thought, and it appears that you won't any time soon.

pj
chgo

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
I read it when I was 19. I own the byrnes set and the 99 critical shots of pool.

So why did you read those books if all you need is practice? You shouldn’t have skipped the first couple of sections (that’s what lots of young people do I know this because I used to require my students to buy the book and way over ¾ of the people under 30 skipped the 1st part and went right to the “shots” the older folks only did this about ½ the time.) I know you will say “uh uh I read cover to cover” This is also very typical.

Here is the formula:

Superior knowledge + CORRECT practice + superior talent = champion
Inferior knowledge + bad (or no) practice + low talent = social player
Good knowledge + mediocre practice + some talent = a 4
Advanced knowledge + lots of practice + some talent = a 5
Advanced knowledge + practice all the time + above average talent = a 6

I am sure you get the idea; it isn’t about just “hit the ball right” and it doesn’t “work the same way for everyone”

To make any of those shots, one has to ::drumroll::

Spin it any way you wish, but there's still no substitute for table time and you arent going to make the object ball if you dont hit it on the face opposite the pocket.

It is estimated that it takes about 10,000hrs of “practice” for most people to attain competence at a skill (pool would fall into that category) this is you assertion and I say “well no kidding, is there anyone here that doesn’t know that?” Tell you what if you hit the CB low and hard with a good stroke if it’s straight on it will come back toward you. Ok that’s not a news flash it is something everyone knows so there is no reason to mention it again.

No matter how many books a person reads, videos they watch, snake oils they buy, left eye/right eye, shadows, lights, diamonds, etc....they wont be able to utilize any of it without putting in the time necessary to become adept at aiming.

You are good at saying the same thing over and over and over again, tell you what I put it like this “you aren’t going to be really good until you roll that 1,000,000th ball into the pocket” You see this is something that everybody knows so you can stop saying it. BTW I have ascertained that it takes about 600hrs of practice (minimum) to effectively adopt a NEW aiming method.

I may have simplified everything, but I accuse the masses of armchair poolplayers of overly complicating a simple action.

Simplification is actually a good sign (to a point) there is a big difference between simplifying and oversimplifying there is overcomplicating to; there is a balance to this whole thing called life finding it isn’t all that easy.

Yes I miss. When I do, it isnt because I didnt line up the right star with the proper table light over the 3rd eye on my forehead. I miss because I didnt hit the ball in the right spot.

Wow, this is exhausting.

Love,
Mike

I agree this is exhausting, a very much smarter man than I am said something to me once that was very profound and I never forgot it. “when things went wrong, don’t check the result; check your preparation, if your life is bad you probably had bad preparation”. This is a fundamental thing that people forget.

I have seen people with 30+ years of competition experience have the form more of a swashbuckler (or worse) than a pool player. Do you really think that those people are going to be back to back runners ever? Well of course they won’t and some of those people put in practice time and have the “feel and adjust” aiming method also. They just aren’t going to be any good at all ever. Now you’re thinking to yourself “well no ____ Sherlock” but you are doing the same kind of thing you are stating the VERY obvious.

On a final note I think that well over ½ the people in the world can’t see things from any other perspective than their own, I have noticed that the poor & wealthy have this problem in a higher % than do the closer to middle classes. You made a statement:

It will work for everyone.

And that is not true of anything in the absolute sense (other than scientific reality).

Tro

Insert Clever Title Here
Silver Member
No need to beg.

Too simplistic. How you approach aiming can make a difference in how well and how fast you learn.

Put in quality table time to learn better and faster. For some this might mean using an aiming system.

You clearly haven't given this much thought, and it appears that you won't any time soon.

pj
chgo

Ive given it over 20 years of thought.

When I was younger, I overcomplicated everything wen it came to pool.

Now, my approach is very simple and I realized that as hard as pool may be, if you simplify it and break it down to the basic principles of where a ball meets a ball, it may make things easier for you.

I realize that my simple approach butts heads with all the deep-thought, make the game harder than it is, theories that some like to subscribe to.

I understand.

Mike

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member

Now, my approach is very simple and I realized that as hard as pool may be, if you simplify it and break it down to the basic principles of where a ball meets a ball, it may make things easier for you.

I realize that my simple approach butts heads with all the deep-thought, make the game harder than it is, theories that some like to subscribe to.

I understand.

Mike

You have “come full circle”, “around the clock”, “back to the beginning” etc.. etc.. because you have taken that journey; one can NOT take a short cut and get there; you (most people with very, very few exceptions; maybe the talented out the wazoo people) can’t just get from midnight to midnight without starting at midnight, going through noon and then getting back to midnight. I suggest the DVD “how to play pool right” by Jerry Briesath he explains this very well.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member

I understand.

Mike

Thanks for your veiw on aiming.:smile:

Mike how well do you play?

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member
I think the guy is saying "there is no substitute for table time". What is so hard to understand about that?

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
I think the guy is saying "there is no substitute for table time". What is so hard to understand about that?

Nothing, but I don’t think anyone here is or was confused on that point before his OP. that makes me think that he might be saying something relevant instead of just "there is no substitute for table time", “boiling water is hot”, “elephants are big”, “the sky is blue” or “it’s dark at night”.

Tro

Insert Clever Title Here
Silver Member
Thanks for your veiw on aiming.:smile:

Mike how well do you play?

I'm not sure.

I'm pretty comfortable with the way I've been playing the past 2 years or so.

I'd say I play above average and even that may be giving myself a little too much credit.

pletho

NON "ACTION KNOCKER"
Silver Member
Tro is absolutely right.

There may be things that help you find the aiming point to help you be more SURE that you are going to hit the correct spot to pocket the ball, BUT there is no substitute to just hitting the ball, and learning from trial and error.

Your mind will learn fast, you can apply the other systems later after you actually train your mind to hit the ball in the pocket. Which will increase your confidence.

Getting in line with the shot and making the shot are completely different.

Getting in line with the shot is super easy.

Making it is where things get hard for people because of bad mechanics.

There stance, their stroke, their follow through, etc... on and on.

The mind, your thoughts are also a problem if you are not confident or you have a negative attitude.

These things can be taught, but the player still must do it, over and over and over and over again until it becomes second nature.

I consider myself an above average player. I can break and run out on a diamond 9 footer. I believe the most I have done on a diamond 9 footer playing nineball is 3 break and runs in a row, on a gold crown, more for sure.

I only play about twice a week in tournaments only. No practice. And no matter how much knowledge or skill I have, I cannot shoot my best UNLESS I hit lots of balls first.

I have found that after I hit around 300 balls in the pocket, meaning I make 300 balls in the pockets, my eyes are tuned and my stroke is fluid.

It takes time, hitting the balls, there is no substitute.....

Last edited: