Is the Tip More Important than Deflection Considerations?

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I don’t know. On long straight ins I use about a tip of English off center to stop. It’s by trial and error and feel. So, I’m sure I’m subconsciously adjusting my aim. If I try center to center I always miss (for distance). If I were smart enough to describe it,I’d have a website and book. I’m just a dog chasing cars, I wouldn’t know what to do if I caught one.

You're not getting through the ball straight, and are using english to deflect into the proper hit. With a proper center ball hit, and straight stroke along the aim line, english can only reduce accuracy.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Are you the decider of what techniques, strokes, approaches to the game are correct?

No... Percentage play and how muscle memory works are the deciders. Also, when you are on the hill and that adrenaline rush hits.... A firm stroke is gonna be about the same... A soft, floppy stroke has a tendency to BECOME a firm stroke...... At a lower tip position.... And that's how you become Jimmy Wetch, overdrawing the cue ball into the side to give Efren Reyes ball-in-hand in the final rack of the 1996 World 8 Ball Championship.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're not getting through the ball straight, and are using english to deflect into the proper hit. With a proper center ball hit, and straight stroke along the aim line, english can only reduce accuracy.

Must be. I need a lesson!