Had my vision problem diagnosed today

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I started playing pool about 8 months ago at the age of 59. I'm addicted.

But the slight double vision I've had for years never bothered me until I began playing pool. I always thought it was because of my mono-vision contact lenses (one lens for distance and the other for reading). So I made an appointment at the optometrist to solve the problem.

The bad news is it's not the contact lenses. My two eyes are pointed in slightly different directions. The right eye is straight ahead, but the left eye is pointed slightly higher and a little bit to the left.

They're going to make me a pair of glasses (to wear over the contacts) that will correct it but the arthritis in my neck makes it hard to play in glasses. I'll probably continue playing by closing my left eye (that's what I've done for the last 5 months).

Getting old's a *****!

Anyway, it's pretty easy to test your eyes. In a room with dim light, put a small light source (like a small birthday candle with a short wick) 8-10 feet away. Relax your eyes. Do you see one candlelight or two? If you see two, it can be corrected with glasses. (An optometrist's light source is better because it doesn't have any glare, but a small candle should do).

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
You're eye problem is worse than mine. I sympathize with. I hope the glasses help.

Suncerely,
RJ

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
You're eye problem is worse than mine. I sympathize with. I hope the glasses help.

Suncerely,
RJ

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Getting older sucks, there's no doubt about that, bdorman. But, it could be worse.
Many years ago I dated a young lady who had lost one of her eyes in a farm accident. Her father couldn't afford an artificial eye to replace the one she had lost, so he carved her one from a piece of hickory. It was quite realistic.
One evening, during a double feature at the local drive-in, I decided I'd go for broke and asked her if she might consider having sex with me. She sat up straight, pulled down and eyelid, and said, "Wood eye!"
Those were the days, I'll tell you. :smile:

Last edited:

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
eyes and pool

I know what you mean, I'm 50 years old, been in a pool room at least 5 days a week from the time I was 10 years till I was 45 years old. I spent a solid 35 year playing min 5 days a week. I stopped 5 years ago because of my eyes. At first I did not miss it because I was doing a lot of over seas traveling, Japan and the Philippines. I realized about a month ago that Now that I'm very comfortable,Happy and settled in my life there was still something missing. I missed playing pool. My wife said Hun play as much as you want if it makes you happy. Well a couple of weeks ago i started going to the pool room and playing till I hit a brick wall. Now my eye sight has been getting worse and worse, Now when I stand at the table and look at the balls they are very blurry, After talking to a friend he told me about a eye doctor who made him a pair of glasses made just for playing pool, He told the eye doc that he wanted to see 20/20 from two to ten feet the length of a table. My friend told me he sees better now with the Billiard glasses then he ever did before. Well I went to the same eye doc and went through the same process, Had a very exstensive eye test and I expect to get my new billiards glasses by the end of the week, According to the doc I will see better then 20/20 from two to ten feet. The length of a billiard table. I am like a kid in a candy store, I cant wait. I'm not sure how they will look on me because the lens are very big and round and fram less, I made sure they where so big that I did not run the risk of being bent over and still seeing the a frame or seeing the edge of the lens..

Honestly I dont care if I look like a clown as long as I can see clear and sharp the whole table.....

Good luck to you my friend and yes it sucks growing old LOL

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting older sucks, there's no doubt about that, bdorman. But, it could be worse.
Many years ago I dated a young lady who had lost one of her eyes in a farm accident. Her father couldn't afford an artificial eye to replace the one she had lost, carved her one from a piece of hickory. It was quite realistic.
One evening, during a double feature at the local drive-in, I decided I'd go for broke and asked her if she might consider having sex with me. She sat up straight, pulled down and eyelid, and said, "Wood eye!"
Those were the days, I'll tell you. :smile:

Tramp that was awesome, I'm reading your post thinking very seriously and reading with great intrest, Then Bang you dropped a bom like that.
Man that was the funniest thing i have herd in a long tome, Thanks for making me laugh so dam hard.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i wear glasses also i have a 2nd pair just for pool with oversize lense,get the oversize lenses they help a lot.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Boy can I empathize with you. On some shots I see blurred edges of the object ball. There is actually two images superimposed one on the other. Get up from the shot. Wait a few seconds. Get down to align the shot. If the double image is still there, I just repeat till it's gone. Doesn't happen very often but, it is a distraction. Glasses are the cure. Just too proud to buy them :embarrassed2:! Think this years is time. Wanted to make it to seventy. Ain't gonna happen.

Lyn

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
JT's -- I hope the glasses work for you. It certainly sounds hopeful.

I'm getting a pair of glasses that have large vertical lenses (horizontal isn't really a problem; the problem is seeing the upper part of the frame when I'm bent over the table).

Luckily, my vision is clear. I see the ball clearly and sharply...it's just that I see two of them. It might turn out to be helpful to know that the ball in the lower right is the real one, and the other is a false image. The worst case is that the glasses don't help and I continue to play with my left eye closed. No big deal.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
In the past

I had contacts made that focused from 2-10 ft, and I found that shots closer than 2 feet were out of focus, and close shots (where cue ball is close to object ball) and a tough cut to make it was giving me problems.

I have much better luck with my normal contact lenses (soft lenses now), and I have noticed that my right eye focuses on close shots, while my left eye focuses on long shots.

framedglasshadd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm so sorry to hear that... yes, it is really annoying to play with glasses. Unless I wear contacts, when I lower my head to see better, the glasses slide down my face and I end up looking over then only solution I found without getting giant lenses was to press the lens really close up to my face to compensate for when it slides down. Of course, I think I can still get LASIK and I am considering it.
You are far worse off than me or any regular-glasses-wearer... Good luck!

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
I can't see a thing without my thick glasses. I got contacts a few weeks ago, they are made astigmatism and so far they work pretty well.

My problem with glasses is when I get down on the ball I am then looking over the top of my glasses instead of through them. I guess I need come Karen Corr style glasses. :grin:

Skippy9Baller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing pool about 8 months ago at the age of 59. I'm addicted.

But the slight double vision I've had for years never bothered me until I began playing pool. I always thought it was because of my mono-vision contact lenses (one lens for distance and the other for reading). So I made an appointment at the optometrist to solve the problem.

The bad news is it's not the contact lenses. My two eyes are pointed in slightly different directions. The right eye is straight ahead, but the left eye is pointed slightly higher and a little bit to the left.

They're going to make me a pair of glasses (to wear over the contacts) that will correct it but the arthritis in my neck makes it hard to play in glasses. I'll probably continue playing by closing my left eye (that's what I've done for the last 5 months).

Getting old's a *****!

Anyway, it's pretty easy to test your eyes. In a room with dim light, put a small light source (like a small birthday candle with a short wick) 8-10 feet away. Relax your eyes. Do you see one candlelight or two? If you see two, it can be corrected with glasses. (An optometrist's light source is better because it doesn't have any glare, but a small candle should do).

I have a similar problem. Have had it for years. I'm working on fixing my eye teaming. I talked at length about ways to improve your pool game with vision training in Episode 2 of my podicast... Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Skippy

Vero

Well, gys, at least you had to live without glasses, I'm only 30 and I can tell you that I have been wearing glasses all my life, its only - 4 but I cannot see anything without glasses!My friend went to Rio, Brazil, they have some super fancy eye clinic, so her made an eye surgery and now, it is more than 3 years later, he is fine and no sign of glasses or whatsoever

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i feel your pain. i have has ambloypia and stabismis since i was born and the surgeries i have had didnt accomplish much but to keep my eyes from going lazy when i get tired. i have been learning to compensate for my visual handicap but it makes the accomplishments that much more rewarding.

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JT's -- I hope the glasses work for you. It certainly sounds hopeful.

I'm getting a pair of glasses that have large vertical lenses (horizontal isn't really a problem; the problem is seeing the upper part of the frame when I'm bent over the table).

Luckily, my vision is clear. I see the ball clearly and sharply...it's just that I see two of them. It might turn out to be helpful to know that the ball in the lower right is the real one, and the other is a false image. The worst case is that the glasses don't help and I continue to play with my left eye closed. No big deal.

I think the key is to have a very big lens size, Big enough so that when your bent over in the shooting position with your head tilted you dont see the edge of the top part of the lens, I was very lucky my friend let me take his pair with me when I went to the eye Doc, It was a big help because I was able to put them on get into the shooting position with my head in the right position, The Doc had me get in the position then he made some marks on the lens of my friends glasses to help in the making of my glasses, Because I'm getting the same pair as my friend. The lens is completely frame less, I should have them this weekend, I will post a picture when I have them. I might add I thought the cost for everything was good, The eye test and the making of the glasses was $225.00

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been wearing glasses since I was 12. I'm 64 now and wear no-line bi-focals.
I have tried several custom made lenses for pool over the years, but none work as well as my latest version.
I got this pair on one of those "two pair for $100" deals. They are identical, normal height, and rectangular.
For my pool pair, I re-bent the nose pad brackets downward about 1/4 inch, to raise them,
and angled the lenses back a bit at the top.
I also removed the plastic ear pieces, and recurved the wire temples to keep them snug.
I am now able to put my chin on the cue, and clearly focus on both the cue ball, and object ball, when bent down on the shot.
My regular pair are on the left, pool pair on the right.

Attachments

• CRW_2813.jpg
    CRW_2813.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 76