Paining Cue Butt (Predator)

hunter121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you post a picture....and explain more fully, please?
My wrapless snooker cue is too slippery for me.

Sorry been crazy busy the last few days, will make it a priority to night to get some pictures up and how I did it

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about how other guy's paint. But I wet sand between each coat, color and clear. It produces a "tooth" for the next layer to bond to. I've been painting motorcycle helmets for over fifty years. They take a lot of abuse. Good sanding helps prevent chips. Land on pavement or gravel, nothing helps. Just sayin'

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I've been told to do it between each coat by a guy who does furniture.

What's the reason for your way? I assume it just works better, but why, if you please?

It keeps the clear coat clear. On a satin finish it wouldn't matter, but for a high gloss that looks deep, I only wet sand the final coat which will be finished with compound.

YMMV

hunter121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On mobile so bare with me, I used duplicolor truck bed liner in the spray can. Prep just like paint, clean the area and tape off. 2-3 light coats for base then a full coat. At that time I do the grip sand and coat the entire area and spray another coat over that. Let dry for a HR or so and a few more coats and your done. Let dry for a day or so.

fc6xkn.jpg

14e53wi.jpg

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
On mobile so bare with me, I used duplicolor truck bed liner in the spray can. Prep just like paint, clean the area and tape off. 2-3 light coats for base then a full coat. At that time I do the grip sand and coat the entire area and spray another coat over that. Let dry for a HR or so and a few more coats and your done. Let dry for a day or so.

fc6xkn.jpg

14e53wi.jpg

Thanx...gonna give it a try

hunter121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would give it a test run on a dowel or hammer handle or something. It is pretty grippy, definitely not for everyone. With that said after some use the high points seem to wear down and it's pretty good.

If you give it a whirl let me know how you like it. Should be able to buy the spray and grip sand for under $20 at home Depot or similar.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
It keeps the clear coat clear. On a satin finish it wouldn't matter, but for a high gloss that looks deep, I only wet sand the final coat which will be finished with compound.

YMMV

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Jeff Livingston

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member

fc6xkn.jpg

14e53wi.jpg

That is really cool