Maximizing your table time?

DeHouser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm more of a lurker on AZB in general, but I spend a significant portion of that lurking time here, among the good folks;)

I'm primarily a snooker player, and focused on that game for many years. I became interested in 14.1 a year or so ago, and have made it my pool focus. Trouble is, I'm lucky to get in more than a few hours of playing time a month. This isn't going to change anytime soon, so I'm wondering if those of you who have more knowledge of the game had any suggestions for me in terms of maximizing my (limited) table time? I'm not expecting miracles, but seeing a bit of improvement is always good.
I feel as though the ball patterns are similar to those in snooker, like when you get into the reds, and keep the cue ball in a working space of about a foot and a half. Unfortunately, I was never very good right in the balls:rolleyes:, so I'm workin' on that.
14.1 is a great game, so anything the doyens of straight pool can offer is appreciated.

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you have no table time but other free time to spend id consider you to watch matches on youtube. watching the patterns, the chosen shots, the ways of the pros.

last years world 14.1 tournament videos are quite a lot on youtube and worth more than one watch (ive downloaded most of them to watch them during my sometimes 6 hour train travels per week :wink: )

some would also say to read "play your best straight pool", i havent yet but i will do so.

ONE important thing; when you open up a cluster (not the breakshot) try ALWAYS to have an insurance ball. sounds "normal" but i dont know how many times i was left without a shot after a second breakshot.

and you might have a watch at the users "Blackjack" endgamepatterns, they were a great help for me! after cleaning most of the table and left with 6 or 7 balls, try to work with easy balls (stunshots or just little movement), determine your keyball (the one that brings you to your breakball) and your keyball to the keyball :eek:

i let now the 14.1 experts give you some more advise :grin: