Aiming by use of table diamonds

NoShow33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Louis,

I watched you play for the first time at the "Best of the West" tournament at Hard Times and I was very impressed to say the least.

I was wondering if there is a system for using the diamonds on the table to establish the cut angle for the shot? Such as side pocket to corner pocket is a 45 degree angle.

I see various pros line up their cue through various diamonds prior to shooting. Are they checking the cut angle or the cue ball return angle?

Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you inadvance.

Louis Ulrich

NoShow33 said:
Hi Louis,

I watched you play for the first time at the "Best of the West" tournament at Hard Times and I was very impressed to say the least.

I was wondering if there is a system for using the diamonds on the table to establish the cut angle for the shot? Such as side pocket to corner pocket is a 45 degree angle.

I see various pros line up their cue through various diamonds prior to shooting. Are they checking the cut angle or the cue ball return angle?

Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you inadvance.

Hi Noshow,

I believe what you are seeing is the player checking the angle for the tangent line off the object ball to see where the cue ball is going after contact. It may be for something else, but I am unaware of any aiming system for cutting balls that would use the diamonds for aiming. They may, like you said, be just checking the angles. I'm not sure though. I'd have to see they player actually do this to see what they are doing.

Thank you for your post. Please let me know if I can try and help further with this.