Trying to generate local interest in pool

freeroll

Registered
I want to start a local pool tournament, but in the last 3 years, 4 different tournaments started and failed. The general consensus is that most people do not want to spend more than $5 entry fee (because most are not serious players, and if they do not come for the tournament, they would not play at all). Also, there is such a huge gap in skill level, between the few regular players and the other potential tournament players, that I feel that having an A and B division would be the only way to keep the lesser skilled players coming back.

Because of the many recent failed tournaments, the manager at the pool hall will no longer give free table time to tournaments. This is one of the reasons one of the previous tournaments failed (they increased the price from $5 to $8, with $3 going toward table fees). Therefore; I feel like I will have to pay the table fees myself, at least until I can prove to the manager that the tournament is, and will be, making him money (through drink sales, etc.). Also, I think that in order for me to generate enough interest to get players through the door, I will have to draw for prizes (free hours of pool, beer glasses, shirts, low end pool cues), which I will also have to pay for.

I just want to know if anyone has any tips or advise to either attract players or keep players coming back.

Thanks,

Free roll

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Room Owner Apathy

I want to start a local pool tournament, but in the last 3 years, 4 different tournaments started and failed. The general consensus is that most people do not want to spend more than $5 entry fee (because most are not serious players, and if they do not come for the tournament, they would not play at all). Also, there is such a huge gap in skill level, between the few regular players and the other potential tournament players, that I feel that having an A and B division would be the only way to keep the lesser skilled players coming back.

Because of the many recent failed tournaments, the manager at the pool hall will no longer give free table time to tournaments. This is one of the reasons one of the previous tournaments failed (they increased the price from $5 to $8, with $3 going toward table fees). Therefore; I feel like I will have to pay the table fees myself, at least until I can prove to the manager that the tournament is, and will be, making him money (through drink sales, etc.). Also, I think that in order for me to generate enough interest to get players through the door, I will have to draw for prizes (free hours of pool, beer glasses, shirts, low end pool cues), which I will also have to pay for.

I just want to know if anyone has any tips or advise to either attract players or keep players coming back.

Thanks,

Free roll

Free Roll,
You shouldn't touch this. A guy who would charge you for trying to promote his room? I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Room Owners a lot of them only want to turn the key and then sell alcohol. Its not enough in a lot of cases but it seems when it comes to Marketing or Advertising they don't have any time or want to spend anything. I don't think most room owners would find the time to do anything even if it were free. That's a truth I found out when I came up with a way to Market that was cheap. It cost a little effort and time. That's a big deal to people so it didn't work not because it wouldn't work it was because they just didn't want to.

You obviously love pool but isn't there anywhere else for you to play?

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put together a brochure that details what you will do to hold a tournament.Emphasize the advertising you will / have sold and the potential number of players who will be in attendance with an estimate of how much money each player might spend.

Send your brochure with a letter to all the pool halls in a 50 mile radius. ." Ask the owners if they would be interested and what they would contribute in "in kind services", money or other help. Be sure to list the names of all the halls you have sent your letter to (cc at the bottom f the letter). This puts the owners on notice about who they are competing with for your business.

To entice players have a few vendors, cue repair, cue sales, etc and include this in the advertising. You and the room owner might even sell space to local car dealers or others who might be interested in marketing to players. Where possible this should be done before the brochure is mailed so owners know you have already done some of the work. Your brochure should be as professional as possible so have a graphics artist help (there are a few here on AZB)

A trick shot artist or pro player giving a 30 minute demonstration half way through the tournament might attract some people.

Letting it be known that there is a practice table / room for money games would bring in players from some distance away. BTW a green room doesn't necessarily have to be in the same building

While you are hosting a small tournament you can think like the large tournament people and do many things to attract players and venders.

If there is a local favorite charity it is often possible to get four or five people to put up a $100.00 each to buy a good cue stick / table / car or something similar. Holding a raffle often attracts the charity supporters to your event.

Here is an idea I saw in action in Western PA (Blackie's Pool Hall if you have ever been there). Have players pay $1.00 dollar for a chance to play the Ghost a game of 9 Ball. The total amount of money collected is divided by nine. This is the value of each ball in the game. The winner of the drawing plays the "Ghost" a game a Nine Ball on the best (most difficult) table in the house. The player wins X dollars for each ball pocketed in one turn at the table. If he makes nothing on the break, he doesn't win anything. If he runs the rack he wins it all.

Any money left after the drawing winner plays is left in the pot for the next tournament. I have seen the pot as high as $900.00 before someone won it all. Word soon gets out about how much money is in the pot and people show up just to get a shot at it. Of course everyone thinks they can run the table. Lots of fun and it generates word of mouth advertising. "Hey, for a buck, I'll take a shot and win it all." :grin-square:

BTW Blackie's tournament went on for many years, until Ralph died I believe.

I was involved with a local pool players' newspaper for several years. One person's main job was simply to seek out new advertisers each week. We actually did quite well and were self supporting, though we never turned a profit. The message here is to have some sales person involved who can get you advertisers. Over the long haul we found that aggressive, attractive women were the best sales people. Go figure.

Last edited:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One other thought that may or may not appeal. We noted that team tournaments attracted 100 or more players for a one or two day tournament. Have three player teams with rules that say all players must have similar handicaps from any of several different leagues. Teams with handicaps of 3 - 5 play in one flight. Teams with 6+ handicaps play in a second flight (using APA as a basis then you convert the other leagues as needed).
Teams play a race to five in a double elimination format. Be sure to have food and beverages available. These group outings seemed to be the most well attended events and can be held on quarterly basis. They also serve as the basis for later individual tournaments.

Last edited: