My 7 Year old at FeltBar in Colorado with Samm

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OMG!
Children in a Billiards Eatablishment!
What has Pool come to?

The next thing you know Pool Rooms will be...
Providing Free Lessons on Saturday Mornings to youth's.
Giving Half-rate table time to Adults when accompanied by a Child.
Maybe even giving Free table time based on a child's report card?
The shame of it all.

What is happening to Pool?

Actually, the place I consider my home room done pretty much all of that LOL, which is why we have had two or even three of our junior player make it to the World Championship last few years and have had several top 12 national players in juniors, all from the same area.

Just to toot my own horn, this is me showing someone how to hold the cue for a jump shot during a Sunday lesson for our junior league, which is run from 3 different pool halls.

19679408_1520312688020644_6519334056412657965_o.jpg

19488777_1520313011353945_4727042560368753478_o.jpg

19388504_1506257542759492_8072244225258932801_o.jpg

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's awesome.....

Jin will be cheering on a couple of our local Juniors that will be going to Vegas in Aug.

Amanda and Brenna, I forgot the other person name that is going also..... Good luck to you 3, possibly more!!! His goal now is to make it to that level.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love the look of determination on his face when he is down on the shot -- and down on the shot he is! Looking good!

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9 year old nephew that I have been thinking about introducing to the game of pool. I'm wondering though, would I need to get him a smaller cue to use? Would the house cues be to long or heavy? Should I stick to teaching him on a barbox or would an 8' not be too big for him?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for teaching a child to play?

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I have a 9 year old nephew that I have been thinking about introducing to the game of pool. I'm wondering though, would I need to get him a smaller cue to use? Would the house cues be to long or heavy? Should I stick to teaching him on a barbox or would an 8' not be too big for him?

Get him an 1/2 apple box to stand on so he doesn't form bad stance habits.

Yes, get him a Junior Cue.
Ask Hangthe9 or Samm for a size recommendation.

Suggestions:
https://www.seyberts.com/junior-kids-cues

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/action-48-inch-junior-cue-blue.html

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/mcdermott-cues-pool-prodigy-42-inch.html

Teach him the fundamentals.

Aim Line
Approach
Stance
Grip
Bridge
Stroke
Follow Through
Stay Down
Observe
Analyze
Correct
Have Fun
***Insert "Relax" before each step.***

Have him shoot in just the cue ball (or an OB) until they can shoot straight and have the fundamentals mastered.
If they are good enough for that then add a short shot into a side pocket.
Then longer straight-in shots.
Cue ball back to tip drills on the short side, then the longer length.
Stroke with follow thru drills over the spot.

Attachments

• IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Many pool halls have shorter cues, see if yours does. An 18 oz house cue should be OK, they are often shorter than 58", see how it fits. Size of the table does not matter, the height is the issue. The tougher equipment he starts on the better off he will be as he learns.

If you want to get him a cue, McDermott has an excellent line of junior cues, not a lot of money and his own cue will likely make him want to play more. Just have him pick out the design and case with you.

Have him learn the correct rules, especially for etiquette, don't have him play by "easy" rules just because he is young, except of course while teaching him to play or when he moves a few balls because he can't reach over them. There is nothing wrong with having him watch some higher class pro events online to show how people behave at the table and when they are not shooting. One of the thing I really do not like the APA and random bar rules is that they always say "we are not pros so we don't play by pro rules". That is no excuse, we teach our kids in the league the correct rules, and explain the differences they may see. If our 8 and 10 years olds can learn what a push out or 3 foul rule is, or to sit down when you are not shooting, some 40 year old bar players can also.

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My son started his first day shooting cue ball into the pockets like the above mentioned, mixed with placing balls close to the pockets. Then moved onto slight angles cheating the pockets to avoid scratching with no English or draw.

Also like the above mentioned, maybe contact Samm regarding cue size depending on your child's height.

Fortunately my son and his mindset is he must play in all tournaments regardless of how many losses he takes and he is a fanatic now with billiards ever since his first weekend.

It's obvious that Samm will correct the mechanics that I was unaware about and taking his game much further than I could have dreamed about.

6 weeks ago, I just took him along since he found a one piece Jr cue for 25 bucks at a local store.... thinking he would play one day with me and go back to his ps4, xbox, or ipad.... I was completely wrong.

Some Jr cues are absolutely horrible with the weight so be wary of the choices.