One of the names....

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
It wasnt until I was in my early 20's that I started playing pool. As I grew up though we always had a table in the house because Dad liked to play.
So natually I banged balls with my friends on it when I had no clue what I was doing in my early teenage years and earlier.

Now to the meat of this story. Steve Mizerak had one of the names that you just know that was pool related. My friends and I have never seen Steve play, we didnt een know what he looked like at the time. However we knew the name and knew he was a champion just from things we heard. So naturally we'd get up to the table and say things like, "watch this shot, I Steve Mizeraked that shot." "Or, I'm Steve Mizerak when it comes to this game."

That seems to be the kind of influence he had just not over the pool's players, but over the games bangers adn the general public as well. If you heard the name Mizerak, you knew it belonged to one of the greatest players who ever lived.

Just felt the need to say that. Im kinda bummed about hearing this because I guess you could say after that story, Steve Mizerak was the first person that I knew was a pool champion and the first pro I looked up to in pool.

UWPoolGod1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good story. It was the same way when I started playing pool in the dorms at college. I would run out a rack being a shotmaker and no sense of cueball control. The upperclassmen would say "Who do you think you are, Steve Mizerak?" And like you said, I had never seen him play, but heard the name countless times while learning the game. And to tell the truth I still have not seen him play. When I started playing CJ Wiley was the cat's meow. Based on what I have read Miz was a spectacular player. Wish I had been there for his prime. Rest well.