9ft vs 7ft

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a 9ft gold crown for 3K all day long. New cloth, rubber, everything.

If you can find a GC4 then excellent.

If not buy once cry once with the 9ft diamond.

My only regret is not buying the pro-am years before I did 3yrs ago.

Spending 4.5K on a used 7ft diamond is expensive.

PhishPhan1995

Registered
Sorry I haven't been more active we have had bad weather so I've been plowing making that money so I can buy all these goodies I want.
bc8172f35c1398c26e1682a72c2f5da6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

PhishPhan1995

Registered
I thought of one more question.

So when finding someone to move the table and set it up are they all basically the same? Or should i look for someone that has diamond specific experience? The guy I planned on using has been in business over 30 years he moved a Brunswick table before for me. I know he don't sell diamonds he sells olhausen Brunswick presidential

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pool hall you play at has diamond's? You like how they play? Then get the guy that works on those tables.
Doesnt mind repeating myself, once

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Honestly I would go 9 Footer, if not in a hurry check Craig's List, or place per placing Old Gold Crown with New Table. Many time you can snag an old "GEM" for nothing but abort to move, do some restoration, fixing, and last recover & setup.

DUMB*** where I live replace Gold Crown Il's and III's with New Diamonds, sold the GC for $150.00 -250.00 dollar per. Totally stupid move on their part, the Diamond I personally hate, because the Gold Crown were fine. Diamonds were like 8K/, dumb expendeture IMHO..

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get the 9 footer, but spend a solid portion of your practice time shooting over the rail with the cue ball close to the cushion. It'll pay off when you get back to the box.

PhishPhan1995

Registered
The pool hall you play at has diamond's? You like how they play? Then get the guy that works on those tables.
Doesnt mind repeating myself, once

I called a guy today I had the number for from another location like 45 miles from me and he just so happens to be the guy that services the tables where I play. Crazy small world but it looks like he will be the one moving and setting up the table and since I will help him and use my truck and enclosed trailer to move the table he is cutting me a deal. He is calling me back with a price. What should one expect to pay to move a table and set it up?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I called a guy today I had the number for from another location like 45 miles from me and he just so happens to be the guy that services the tables where I play. Crazy small world but it looks like he will be the one moving and setting up the table and since I will help him and use my truck and enclosed trailer to move the table he is cutting me a deal. He is calling me back with a price. What should one expect to pay to move a table and set it up?

For me it was 450. That included going to someone’s house, disassembling the table, driving an hour to bring me the table, and setting it up. Not very well though :) but that is a ball park you can expect. Mine was a 3 piece slate.

If you can get a 1 piece slate I’d go that route, much easier to level and keep level. But some people don’t like working with 1 piece and may charge more.

howlieboy9

Registered
Everyone seems to say go for the 9 footer. Nothing wrong with that. But when was the last time you played a tournament on a 9 foot table? I never have. It’s always on 7 foot valleys or diamonds.

If you love one pocket then there is no choice to be made here...go 9 foot. But if you want better weekly results...practice on what you play on!

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Everyone seems to say go for the 9 footer. Nothing wrong with that. But when was the last time you played a tournament on a 9 foot table? I never have. It’s always on 7 foot valleys or diamonds.

If you love one pocket then there is no choice to be made here...go 9 foot. But if you want better weekly results...practice on what you play on!

Where do you live? It seems crazy to me you’ve never played a tourney on 9’ but I’ve heard the Midwest is bar table country, maybe that’s more literal than I took it for lol.

I think he got so many 9’ responses because he said he’s planning on devoting a lot of time and effort to really upping his game. In the pool world most serious play happens on big tables, and eventually 14.1 and 1P pop up. And no matter what anyone says I think playing on a 9’ is the best way to raise your game on a 7’ table. You have to also put some time in fine tuning your speed on the smaller table but it’s an easy adjustment to step down.

Either way he’s got the space for both so it seems like he’s in pool heaven. :)

PhishPhan1995

Registered
I'm in Illinois and I have never shot a touney on a 9ft table.

I was quoted 475 from a place that doesn't deal with diamonds but said they could set it up. I have not got the price yet from the guy that does service on the Diamonds my area.

linxhack

Registered
Not to complicate the conversation, but have you thought about splitting the difference and going with an 8 footer? I play on a 100 year old 8ft table and love it. Not much adjusting to go to a 7ft or a 9ft for tournaments or leagues. I can play all of the games you can play on a 9ft without any trouble. Admittedly, my eyesight isn't as good as it once was so 9 footers give me trouble.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you wanna become a great pool player get the 9' diamond with super pro cut pockets ( 4 and 1/8th )
If you wanna become a barbox monster get the 7'

There's no way of becoming a strong 9' 9ball player just practicing on a 7'
There's a way of becoming a strong barbox 8ball player just practicing on the 9' ( half table drills etc ).

But much better to practice what you'll compete on.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you wanna become a great pool player get the 9' diamond with super pro cut pockets ( 4 and 1/8th )
If you wanna become a barbox monster get the 7'

There's no way of becoming a strong 9' 9ball player just practicing on a 7'
There's a way of becoming a strong barbox 8ball player just practicing on the 9' ( half table drills etc ).

But much better to practice what you'll compete on.

I put some time on a 9’ Diamond 4.125” table. It helped my stroke out tremendously. But my pattern play suffered. I could ONLY hit center ball because that was too narrow margin or error to account for deflection (for me). I think that kind of table is very helpful to visit but no neophyte should live there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say if you have the space, and I really mean have the space (no obstacles, poles, furniture, bars, lamps, a spouse that hoards) then get the 9 footer.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Not to complicate the conversation, but have you thought about splitting the difference and going with an 8 footer? I play on a 100 year old 8ft table and love it. Not much adjusting to go to a 7ft or a 9ft for tournaments or leagues. I can play all of the games you can play on a 9ft without any trouble. Admittedly, my eyesight isn't as good as it once was so 9 footers give me trouble.
That was all sorted out mid way through the thread.

dd1228

Registered
definitely the 9 footer. Much more enjoyable and will make you a better player. To me playing on a 7 footer is like playing with toys. When I walk into a pool room and see people playing on a 7 footer when there are 9 footers available, I just cringe and think what is wrong with these people! . Oh well just an opinion of an old guy who grew up in the good old days on 9 foot tables. I have a 9 foot GC1 in my home and I enjoy it every day.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put some time on a 9’ Diamond 4.125” table. It helped my stroke out tremendously. But my pattern play suffered. I could ONLY hit center ball because that was too narrow margin or error to account for deflection (for me). I think that kind of table is very helpful to visit but no neophyte should live there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

“Living there’” is the key. While tight pockets CAN be frustrating initially, just as your stroke is forced to improve (no more ‘banging’), having to concentrate that extra degree in order to precisely control deflection will elevate your barbox game to the point where you’ll get used to opponents constantly whining (“Don’t you ever miss?”). Those who only play on Valley ‘bucket’ tables will never develop that level of skill.

runout68

Registered
You will regret it if you don't get a 9' table. Or at least a Pro 8.
Then you'll be able to compete on both 9' and 7' tables.