Simonis & Ridgeback on a Valley

ktrepal85

Banned
Hi,

I just bought a 7' valley bar box and I am planning to add Simonis cloth and Ridgeback rails to make the table play very well. I am not a table mechanic and I have never worked on a table before however I plan on doing plenty of research on the internet and performing the work myself. Before I dive into my research I have a few questions:

1. Is the Simonis installation training video worth buying for the rails and cloth?

2. Is the cloth stretcher tool worth buying?

3. Someone mentioned that there is a specific Simonis installation training video for valley tables however I cannot find it. Does it exist?

4. I have the option to buy precut Simonis cloth for the same price as uncut. Should I go for it or do you think it is cut specifically to fit a diamond table(not a valley)? Are the cloth cutting patterns on Simonis' website made for only diamonds or valleys too?

5. I keep hearing that I should level the slate before I assemble the legs however my floor is not completely level so I don't understand how I can do this. Is this step really all that necessary? Or is there an easier way to do this that I'm overlooking?

6. Can someone recommend a website for buying the 3M Fast-Bond10™ glue that is recommended?

7. At this point I am sort of clueless as to what's involved with the rail installation. I need to do my research but I am trying to order all the materials and tools online so that I can research while they are being shipped. Are there any specific tools or accessories you think I might need to buy for the rails?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
From one DIYer to another, I'm not a mechanic and my answers are for a one time cover.
1) The Simonis Video includes a Valley installation using spray adhesive.
2) Get a Canvas Stretcher from an art supply store unless you plan to do a lot of tables. Its not absolutely neccessary but tighter is better.
3) See 1
4) get precut ... its worth the extra couple of bucks.
5) For a Valley you just put the legs on and stand it up. That's about all you can do unless you want to pay a mechanic to spend a lot of time shimming cross beams and saddles.
6) Aircraft Spruce has the best price I've found for 3M10 aka Scotch-Grip
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/ ..... Part # 09-01364
7) Staple or glue ... your choice. You'll find as a DIYer the rails are the most fun!

Good Luck. Hopefully someone more qualified will come in.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
For a first time DIYer:

-Buy the Simonis DVD's and follow them closely.

-Use 3M-77 Spray Adhesive, instead of 3m-10 Scotchweld. It'll be a lot easier, especially considering that the DVD shows installation with spray adhesive.

-You don't absolutely need any special tools to stretch the cloth, but it doesn't hurt. If you would rather not spend the money (for a one-time use), you could just use a pair of pliers. Just be careful, as pulling too hard (with narrow width pliers) may tear the cloth.

-If you order Ridgeback rails, you can get them already covered, with pre-cut bed cloth. Or, you can cover them yourself.

-If you plan to cover the rails yourself, you might as well order pre-cut. It'll give you peace of mind in knowing that you aren't going to cut it wrong. And be sure to follow the DVD, and use the glue-down application on the rails; it'll save a lot of time.

-Don't worry about leveling the table until you are finished. Make sure that the slate sits flat on the supports though.

-Also, make sure that you tighten up the corner casting bolts, while you are at it.

Good luck.

SlewFootLag

Registered
Not a mechanic, but i am a DIYer, and have done a few glue down table recoveries... The DVDs are absolutely worth it and include valley instructions. The 3m-10 in my opinion is a superior adhesive for the bed(its not nearly as messy as it seems, use SA for the rails. It seems like the only reason they used SA for the bed in the videos is because scotch-grip is not available in all states. Make sure you have a partner at least to hold the slate down, i did a 6fter and almost pulled the slate off the table...
-D
PS I offered to do a buddies table if he bought all the supplies for my 1st recovery *sans cloth (Scotch grip, canvas stretchers, SA, pocket facings etc.) I felt like it was a good trade, I used my table to practice on and by the time i did his I learned from my rookie mistakes.

Last edited: