Porper Model B Mods questions and mods that you have made?

skipthorp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Cue Makers,

I have a few questions. I appreciate any answers. I have done a search on the forum but still have a few questions.

1. I just cleaned my lathe. Now, I notice that the carriage slips, every so often. I looked at the brass gear, seemed to be fin, tighten up the bolt underneath but problem is not going away. Do I need to replace the brass? Or is their another fix? I looked at the rod and it was clean and looked good.

2. The taper bar, I watched the video but not 100% helpful. I engaged the silver handle, tighten the screw, but I don't notice the cross slide moving.I usually, use an of set boring head, but wanted to try the the tapers that are on the machine.

3. Is it worth adding a milling attachment? does anyone recommend a certain model?

4. Is it worth turning it into CNC?

5. Is it worth putting a compound slide on?

6. Can it accurately produce threads? I have tried to mark the feed speed in different spots, but the threads are never the same.

7. Does anyone want to share modifications that they have made?

8. Does anyone sell a box to attach vacuum hose to cross slide? It is a pain cleaning after using the router.

I just wanted to say thank you to anyone who replies.

Sincerely,

Skip

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several threads about Porper model B on this forum.
Milling attachment for tapering is fine, the taper bar takes a little effort to set up and it`s not really meant to change taper all the time.
I would never spend the money on converting it to a CNC, I would save up to a real 4 axis setup.
A compound slide isn`t the simplest thing to do on a model B, a OXA quick change tool post is a great upgrade.
The Porper machines are not made for thread cutting.
A vacuum table system is made easily with PVC pipe, check out pictures of Ryan Thweens setup.

Last edited: