New owner at Chicago Billiard Cafe

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
This afternoon, the new owner (some 3 weeks now) at the Chicago Billiard Cafe said hello, and introduced himself. At the time, he was speaking with a former owner of the CBC (Augie) and was going over what needed to be done to make the CBC as it ought to be. Looks like they'll be recovering the tables, and making them play right, so it will be a place for players again.

He said he hopes to have that all taken care of in the next two weeks. Plus they will be starting up tournaments again, and yours truly heartily recommended Augie be the TD. IMHO, he really knows how to run a tournament, and was the reason for the success of the tournaments in the past. Back when Augie was running them, they were handicapped (fairly, by him) cost $20 to buy in and frequently had a full field of 32. Those entry fees plus $100 added by CBC made 1st place take home $400+, and good players were always in the mix. By good players, I mean some of Chicago's finest: Ike Runnels, Neil Jacobs, Leo Campos, Manuel Chau (no longer in the Windy City), etc.

Looking good, really hope it works out.

Flex

P.S. edited to correct some grammatical errors and clarify a few other things.

Last edited:

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard nothing but good things about this spot when Augie owned the room. I know Augie and he is a nice guy and a good player. His one hole game is nice. I wish the new room success and hope it turns into a great spot for players.:D :D :thumbup:

philw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flex said:
This afternoon, the new owner (some 3 weeks now) at the Chicago Billiard Cafe said hello, and introduced himself. At the time, he was speaking with a former owner of the CBC (Augie) and was going over what needed to be done to make the CBC as it ought to be. Looks like they'll be recovering the tables, and making them play right, so it will be a place for players again.

He said he hopes to have that all taken care of in the next two weeks. Plus they will be starting up tournaments again, and yours truly heartily recommended Augie be the TD. IMHO, he really knows how to run a tournament, and was the reason for the success of the tournaments in the past. Back when Augie was running them, they were handicapped (fairly, by him) cost $20 to buy in and frequently had a full field of 32. Those entry fees plus $100 added by CBC made 1st place take home $400+, and good players were always in the mix. By good players, I mean some of Chicago's finest: Ike Runnels, Neil Jacobs, Leo Campos, Manuel Chau (no longer in the Windy City), etc.

Looking good, really hope it works out.

Flex

P.S. edited to correct some grammatical errors and clarify a few other things.
Yes it's true Chicago Billiard Cafe is under new management and trying to flourish in an economy that is full of uncertainty. Robbie the new owner has already replaced some furniture i.e. chairs, etc. He has also reclothed many tables and did some painting. I think once he gets some tournaments going again it will bring in some good players and once again become one of Chicago's greatest poolhalls. The Chicago Billiard Cafe used to host a wednesday night tournament that would garnish the likes of Efren Reyes, Billy Incardona, Boston Shorty, Tom Spencer, Jeff Carter, Piggy, George Michaels, Ike Runnels, Freddy the Beard, Ronnie the Hat, Rich "Rocketman" Slupik, Mike Bandy, Larry Schawrtz, Scott Kitto, Mark Jarvis, the list is almost endless. There were also legendary matchups: Efren vs. Bugs, Freddy the Beard vs. Bugs. I have fond memories of those days back in the 80's and I hope when things are back to normal at the CBC I'll have found memories of these days. Please support the room as so many rooms have closed in the passed few years. They have Gold Crowns that beautiful.

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
philw said:
Yes it's true Chicago Billiard Cafe is under new management and trying to flourish in an economy that is full of uncertainty. Robbie the new owner has already replaced some furniture i.e. chairs, etc. He has also reclothed many tables and did some painting. I think once he gets some tournaments going again it will bring in some good players and once again become one of Chicago's greatest poolhalls. The Chicago Billiard Cafe used to host a wednesday night tournament that would garnish the likes of Efren Reyes, Billy Incardona, Boston Shorty, Tom Spencer, Jeff Carter, Piggy, George Michaels, Ike Runnels, Freddy the Beard, Ronnie the Hat, Rich "Rocketman" Slupik, Mike Bandy, Larry Schawrtz, Scott Kitto, Mark Jarvis, the list is almost endless. There were also legendary matchups: Efren vs. Bugs, Freddy the Beard vs. Bugs. I have fond memories of those days back in the 80's and I hope when things are back to normal at the CBC I'll have found memories of these days. Please support the room as so many rooms have closed in the passed few years. They have Gold Crowns that beautiful.

Phil.........As we all know, there's been nothing but kids playing there for the last 5 years.....It would be great if the new owner could turn it back into a players/action room - if he does, I'll go back over there in a heartbeat....cuz I don't have the energy for that 20 mile drive, in heavy traffic, to get to Red Shoes.

- Ghost

Reactions: sjm