3/8x10 Pin removal

arend003

Registered
I need to replace the 3/8x10 pin on my McDermott cue, any one done it and how did ou get the old pin out of the butt? I am guessing it is glued in
Thanks
Tom

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to replace the 3/8x10 pin on my McDermott cue, any one done it and how did ou get the old pin out of the butt? I am guessing it is glued in
Thanks
Tom

You heat the pin carefully, make sure to stay away from the joint collar and if you need to, cool it down with a wet rag.
Dont use more heat that you absolutely have to.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take it to your local Cuemaker or repair person. Even after doing it one hundred times it can be tricky. Not worth the gamble for the neophyte. :)

Mario

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
We are almost done with our first cue, not that I consider myself a cuemaker.
Anyway, 13-years ago I watched Chris Byrne remove the pin from my McDermot D-3, after I screwed on a 3/8-10 shaft with a brass insert.
Chris has this cool very expensive little heat gun that allowed him to remove the pin easily and quickly.

I didn't over tighten or cross thread anything.
Something must have galled with dissimilar metals because it was almost welded on and not coming off.
I didn't think to check it at the time but a couple years later here on AZ someone said they used some aluminum pins back then.
Chris installed a stainless steel radial pin, made a new shaft, and I called the cue a McByrne.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom
I've done quite a few of them. Took me longer to heat up the screw than any other cue. The other part of the equation is, once you get it out. Cleaning the hole, (reaming) re-tap it to make sure it's clean, then set the new screw straight, (between centers) then be able to re-face the joint. Are you sure the screw is bent or did the butt move. Roll the butt on a table and look past the screw, see if the joint lifts when you roll it.
Good luck!

Last edited:

arend003

Registered
No I loaned it to a friend and somehow he damaged the threads on the pin. I tried filing to clean them p but did not accomplish a good job so think the best is to replace the pin or just keep the cue as a one piece now.
Tom

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No I loaned it to a friend and somehow he damaged the threads on the pin. I tried filing to clean them p but did not accomplish a good job so think the best is to replace the pin or just keep the cue as a one piece now.
Tom

Well if you don't change the screw, you risk damaging the threads in the shaft.
Good luck