Honor & Privelege

Nineballggs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the distinct HONOR & PRIVELEGE of playing Steve in the Straight Pool World Championships, held that year in Portland, Maine. It was indeed a thrill to play someone of his stature. We both met in the losers bracket, in the afternoon match, on the feature table, right in front of the V.I.P. box. My professional sponsor, was sitting with Karen, his lovely wife, front row center....The game of course was straight pool. Imagine, playing a legend like Steve Mizerak, in the Championships of Straight Pool. Truly, a once in a lifetime opportunity, as I did not travel much, I was busy running my billiard room in Massachussetts. The game was 150 points....I came out of the gate with a 33 ball run and scratched...Steve came out of the gate with 115....YEOOOWWW....I was hoping he would run out, then I could say he ran 150 and out against me. After I came to the table and touched a ball with my cue, I now had 31. He ran another 15 balls before he got tied up and played safe. Well, I was blessed and came back and ran 100 balls against him.....Score... Steve 130....Me 131.... and I could not believe it. The next two racks took us approx. 45 minutes to reach. In the end Steve Mizerak..150....Gary Sanossian 146. I lost, but today I still consider that one of the greatest games I ever played. I don't mind saying .."The company was superb" in every way. The four of us went out to dinner immediately following the match, to culminate a fantastic day to say the least. I only knew him briefly ...but he was a true gentleman, and his wife Karen is a lovely lady. While we were warming up for our match...we exchanged hitting balls with each others cues....I was playing with a 17.5oz. "Executive Eagle" ..and he was playing with his "24" ounce Custom made Richard Black...I hit a ball with it said "Geez Steve... what do you do with this thing..Kill people" ????? His reply was a simple and gentle "Yes".......Respectfully submitted.....May The Good Lord keep him and his family in the Palm of HIS HANDS....I have heard....The tables UP THERE...play fantastic......:)

Last edited: