Adding weight to a cue?

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
Now i would be adding weight to a 18oz Action SP that i use for breaking.

I am looking to make the cue about 21 - 22oz, maybe upto 23 or 24. Now should i drill the weight hold deeper and add a longer bolt or just use a heavier bolt with the original weight hole?

Also will it affect the balance of the cue? I have heard that adding weight to a cue affects the balance of the cue because, the cue is not at the weight it was made for, even on production cues.

Need some info please

dave

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
StormHotRod300 said:
Now i would be adding weight to a 18oz Action SP that i use for breaking.

I am looking to make the cue about 21 - 22oz, maybe upto 23 or 24. Now should i drill the weight hold deeper and add a longer bolt or just use a heavier bolt with the original weight hole?

Also will it affect the balance of the cue? I have heard that adding weight to a cue affects the balance of the cue because, the cue is not at the weight it was made for, even on production cues.

Need some info please

dave

depending on the joint type, I have added weight to a ss, piloted joint to make a cue more forward weighted by stacking stainless washers over the joint screw. I have also drilled the weight bolt deeper to add, and remove weight from cues. I used to have access to a lathe so it wasn't like I broke out by cordless drill and went after it:D

As far a ruining the balance of the cue, try it, if you don't like it, put it back how you had it before....

Gerry<<<will never stop tinkering...

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Most production cues that use weight bolts are already drilled deep enough to take a longer bolt. Each cue is pre-drilled, and then different size bolts are added to make different weights. If you find a longer bolt with the same thread size, it will probably go in without doing anything to the cue.
Steve

Nico

Banned
pooltchr said:
Most production cues that use weight bolts are already drilled deep enough to take a longer bolt. Each cue is pre-drilled, and then different size bolts are added to make different weights. If you find a longer bolt with the same thread size, it will probably go in without doing anything to the cue.
Steve
Good advice. Also, in order to drill deeper you'll need to use a bit that is close to the inner diameter of the hole, then you must tap out the new depth so it has threads. By doing this you may damage the threads in the butt of the cue and make it impossible to screw the weight bolt back in. I highly recommend that you do NOT try to bore the cue out, you'll most likely ruin it.

NineBallNut

Silver Member
To make that thing a 23 oz, you won't find a stock wieght bolt long enough to add that many ounces. The biggest bolt I have for those cues is a 3 oz. I'm sure you could find something with a no head and a hex inset for turning down farther and stacking the wieght bolts. I would have to say that adding that much wieght would definetly change the balance point.

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Action weight bolt?

What size/type weight bolt does an Action cue have? It isn't a standard 3/8 16, as the weight bolt from Atlas doesn't fit.
I found one at billiards.com but it doesn't give a size.
http://www.billiards.com/pRBVPO/Action_Weight_Bolts_for_Action_Cues/product.htm

rbvpo-1.jpg

Thanks for your time,
Beau

gpeezy

for sale!
Man I hope your playing league or something. I would hate to grind out a 10 ahead throwing 24 oz at the rack every break.

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
Sorry guys, that post is from like two yrs ago lol.

Last yr, I bought a 20oz J&J JB cue that i LOVE!!!! and dont plan on adding any weight to it.

But yea that old Action break cue i had, I added as much weight to it, as i could and it ended up being about 22oz. But I liked it at the time.