New finish without messing with the wrap area possible?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cue that recently got a great wrap put on recently (thanks Mike :thumbup: ), I noticed that the finish around the points is bumping out a bit and was going to get the cue refinished and checked to make sure the points are not an issue.

Is it possible to refinish a cue without undoing the irish linen wrap?

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're really attached to the wrap then the short answer is yes...I've had it done many times. Just find yourself a competent cue technician/cue maker to due it.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're really attached to the wrap then the short answer is yes...I've had it done many times. Just find yourself a competent cue technician/cue maker to due it.

Were they complete refinishes, meaning completely strip the finish off the cue and start new or just sand and scuff and tickle with a top coat?? Do you know?
If finish gets on the edge of the existing wrap and you eventually change that wrap, it could, pop the finish above and below.
If your the kind of person who holds the Cue maker accountable for the entire butt on a complete refinish. Then have it refinished completely! If the finish is shrinking around the point's, eventually it will shrink above and below the wrap too. If the only goal of saving the wrap is to save a few bucks but increases the task of doing the job. Don't waste the Cue makers time. There is no normal. Every job is an individual job and should be evaluated and completed as such.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were they complete refinishes, meaning completely strip the finish off the cue and start new or just sand and scuff and tickle with a top coat?? Do you know?
If finish gets on the edge of the existing wrap and you eventually change that wrap, it could, pop the finish above and below.
If your the kind of person who holds the Cue maker accountable for the entire butt on a complete refinish. Then have it refinished completely! If the finish is shrinking around the point's, eventually it will shrink above and below the wrap too. If the only goal of saving the wrap is to save a few bucks but increases the task of doing the job. Don't waste the Cue makers time. There is no normal. Every job is an individual job and should be evaluated and completed as such.

This.

Linen wraps are too easy to mess around. If it can be done once it can be done again.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes it can be done. Yes I have done it with complete strip down to bare wood with inlays added even. With that said I am not interested in doing finish work on any other brand of cues than my own. Also the wrap should be special if you are wanting to save it. I have done it to save very old wraps or just because I only refinished the butt sleeve.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same. I've done it, but I hate doing it. A wrap is probably $50 bucks for linen from most builders and repair people and the time invested in trying to save it wouldn't warrant that kind of investment. Now if it was Cortland...that's a different story.

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're interested in saving the wrap and the reasons can be many aside from financial (which was never my reason) let me know and I'll give you a name of a cue maker that I'll do it for you.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious do you finish the cue first then apply the linen wrap or wrap then finish the cue?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're interested in saving the wrap and the reasons can be many aside from financial (which was never my reason) let me know and I'll give you a name of a cue maker that I'll do it for you.

Really it was to save the $ and Mike did a great job putting it on. I'd hate to have him do all that work again :grin-square: Wrap was done very recently and I have being un-efficient by having it all undone and redone again.

But I will hold off on a refinish since for the 4th time I decided not to sell or trade the cue and the finish bump around the points does not bother me.