Earl and Hatch's exhibition

I saw the show this past weekend in Auburn. I'll be brutally honest here. I love Earl. He could do almost anything and I wouldn't judge him. But...I think the exhibition dragged a bit. The trick shots went on a bit long. And I'm not really a fan of trick shots, so that's maybe my problem. In my opinion, watching one of history's greatest players doing trickshots is like watching Babe Ruth ride a unicycle in his underwear. Entertaining, but undignified. I'd rather see them play. And Earl tends to make the crowd uncomfortable. He argued with a good number of people there. And if you've never interacted with him before, all his rants about how pool is the greatest game in the world, and he's the greatest, blah, blah might be offputting. Not to me, but for people that don't understand/respect him, I would think they might find him irritating. But besides all that it was a good show. I find Earl very entertaining. And Hatch is also very entertaining. He's very warm and engaging. And their play was fantastic. It started off with a match, then Earl did trickshots, and then Hatch played some people, and I didn't stay until the absolute end, but they were supposed to play scotch doubles. All-in-all a good show, but I think the trick shots dragged on a bit long.

ziggystardust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indiana

They are coming to the Ryno Room in Kocomo, IN
on I Fri April 3rd, 6:00-10:00. I have never been up
there but hear it is a nice room. Going to try to make
it.

jmarcum1984

Registered
Does anyone know how to contact them for an engagement. I would love to try to get them down to Texas. I met Dennis last year at a tournament. He was incredibly friendly and had a way of making you feel good about your game even while kicking my butt three ways to Sunday.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl and Dennis Hatch have been doing exhibitions lately. If anyone has attended, can you offer your review?

Here is a nice write-up in a local paper.
http://www.sunjournal.com/news/lewiston-auburn/2015/03/08/pool-legends-show-legends-auburn/1665862

-Jeff

I agree that the write-up was nice. Complimentary of the hall, good exposure for the sport. Also, at the end of the article there are some decent pics and a great short video of Earl making one hell of a stroke shot.

Gideon<-----Sounds like a great exhibition.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But...I think the exhibition dragged a bit. The trick shots went on a bit long. And I'm not really a fan of trick shots, so that's maybe my problem. In my opinion, watching one of history's greatest players doing trickshots is like watching Babe Ruth ride a unicycle in his underwear. Entertaining, but undignified. I'd rather see them play.

This does not surprise me. There is a YouTube video, from the last year or so, of Earl doing trick shots at an exhibition. He's taking a long time to set up a shot and uncomfortably arguing with the crowd.

I'm not a fan of the "Just Showing Off" style wired-setup shots. But Mike Massey does a good job of it. He can set up any shot in 15 seconds. He puts two balls down, taps them in, puts two more down, taps them in, etc. You can't even tell he's lining the balls up; he's done it so much it's automatic. Meanwhile he's joking around and telling entertaining stories. After doing the first dozen or so himself, he pulls people in from the crowd to do the shots.

Regardless, I'd love to see Earl and Hatch's show.