fargo rating by username and disrespect towards top players

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike, talk to Jerry and see if we can get people's Fargo Ratings next to their screen name. :wink:

This isn't to imply that people's opinions matter less if they don't play high level. I do think it would be interested though to see if a certain pattern held true.

The posters that I know that play very well have something in common- they tend to be very respectful of top players. It's like they've traveled down the path far enough to appreciate how hard it is to play world class.

There isn't a pool player alive that doesn't have opportunity to improve, but to speak about these players disdainfully because they are not perfect is very fatiguing to me. I'm not denying opportunity to improve, but it's striving to go from awesome to awesomer, because our players are truly awesome. It would make me feel better if I could see a big "516" next to some of the condescension I've read towards our top US players.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeez, i hate to sound like dearly departed p'chump but: WHAT is a Fargo rating? I'm being serious, i have zero clue what it is. I guess i better do a little searchin'.

Last edited:

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, talk to Jerry and see if we can get people's Fargo Ratings next to their screen name. :wink:

This isn't to imply that people's opinions matter less if they don't play high level. I do think it would be interested though to see if a certain pattern held true.

The posters that I know that play very well have something in common- they tend to be very respectful of top players. It's like they've traveled down the path far enough to appreciate how hard it is to play world class.

There isn't a pool player alive that doesn't have opportunity to improve, but to speak about these players disdainfully because they are not perfect is very fatiguing to me. I'm not denying opportunity to improve, but it's striving to go from awesome to awesomer, because our players are truly awesome. It would make me feel better if I could see a big "516" next to some of the condescension I've read towards our top US players.

That would be interesting and give context. However, Fargo ratings require real names but many of the posters you describe don't use their real names.

And like Jason said, many people (including me) don't have them.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would be interesting and give context. However, Fargo ratings require real names but many of the posters you describe don't use their real names.

And like Jason said, many people (including me) don't have them.

I think it should only be a option

J Soto

The NON-Myth
Silver Member
Most of the disrespectful people are trolls that don't play better than a C player maybe low B level....I doubt most would have a fargo rating, unless the APA is doing fargorate.

J Soto

The NON-Myth
Silver Member
Jeez, i hate to sound like dearly departed p'chump but: WHAT is a Fargo rating? I'm being serious, i have zero clue what it is. I guess i better do a little searchin'.

I asked that question before and didnt get a response. ..it tracks a players stats, for what reason I still don't know.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To provide more info maybe we could also show:

Years of experience
Skin color
Eye color
Hair color
Height
Weight
Religious affiliation
Political affiliation
Sexual preference
Physical address
Annual income
Annual charitable contributions

I'm sure there are other, let's not leave anything out here. If we're going to judge posters by something other than what they have to say we should make sure we have all the info from which to judge them by.

OP should go first.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the disrespectful people are trolls that don't play better than a C player maybe low B level....I doubt most would have a fargo rating, unless the APA is doing fargorate.

Why the fvck is it that every time some one in here wants to disparage certain certain posters they refer to them as they must be apa players ?

I would venture to say that most of the posters that are on here disrespecting pro players are nit even league players...let alone apa players.

According to popular opinion on this website most apa players cannot even name 2 pro players besides the black widow so how can they possibly be posting disrespectful comments about pros ?

Some if you posters are so full of shit in your disparaging remarks regarding league players its unreal.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To provide more info maybe we could also show:

Years of experience
Skin color
Eye color
Hair color
Height
Weight
Religious affiliation
Political affiliation
Sexual preference
Physical address
Annual income
Annual charitable contributions

I'm sure there are other, let's not leave anything out here. If we're going to judge posters by something other than what they have to say we should make sure we have all the info from which to judge them by.

OP should go first.

This is interesting. I think your comment is meant in the spirit of MLK's admonition to judge not by color of skin but rather by content of character.

Here it would be judging by content of post and not some irrelevant
attributions. But how good is that analogy?

Is the poster's skill irrelevant to the post, like skin color is, or does it inform the content of the post?

The answer, like a lot of answers, is "it depends."

If someone is making an argument and supporting that argument, then "who" is making that argument is irrelevant. The argument should stand or fall on its own.

But there are many sorts of comments and opinions posted here that don't fit that mold. When someone makes an unsupported opinion or conclusory post, then their skill level, their level of experience, and some other things might actually inform the content of the post.

So while most of your tongue-in-cheek list is never likely to be relevant to a post here, years of experience might actually be meaningful. And I can think of a lot of posts for which the poster's skill level is more "content of character" than it is "color of skin."

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is interesting. I think your comment is meant in the spirit of MLK's admonition to judge not by color of skin but rather by content of character.

Here it would be judging by content of post and not some irrelevant
attributions. But how good is that analogy?

Is the poster's skill irrelevant to the post, like skin color is, or does it inform the content of the post?

The answer, like a lot of answers, is "it depends."

If someone is making an argument and supporting that argument, then "who" is making that argument is irrelevant. The argument should stand or fall on its own.

But there are many sorts of comments and opinions posted here that don't fit that mold. When someone makes an unsupported opinion or conclusory post, then their skill level, their level of experience, and some other things might actually inform the content of the post.

So while most of your tongue-in-cheek list is never likely to be relevant to a post here, years of experience might actually be meaningful. And I can think of a lot of posts for which the poster's skill level is more "content of character" than it is "color of skin."

You make some what of a valid point about content of character based on skill level.

However it may not apply all the time. I am sure you have read posts on here where some ne challenges another poster to a match due to their difference of opinions.

Suppose some one did happen to hop on a plane and fly across country to accept that challenge and won ? Does that mean his opinion was the correct one ? I hardly think so..

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
then again

You make some what of a valid point about content of character based on skill level.

However it may not apply all the time. I am sure you have read posts on here where some ne challenges another poster to a match due to their difference of opinions.

Suppose some one did happen to hop on a plane and fly across country to accept that challenge and won ? Does that mean his opinion was the correct one ? I hardly think so..

LOL, that has always been a pet peeve of mine, when the person runs out of arguments so they start woofing. No, of course the level of play doesn't mean that person is 'right'. But no one said it would. It would just be information.

My main point was to share the observation that good players tended to be more respectful towards other good players, and gently ask people to follow their lead a bit more often.

Thank you all for your replies.

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What the hell is wrong with a player that has a 516 fargo rating. To have a 750 player, you had to have a 516 player at some point. If the OP is a highly skilled player then show some damn leadership instead of all the massive pool ego crap, there would not be as many junk posts on here and maybe, if you gave back instead of looking down upon, there would be more good players and less less-thans posting the crap about the pro's.

Leaders > Complainers

You may take exception to my post, like I did with yours. You painted all lower level players with the same broad brush. I have great respect for pro players and for those on this years MC team. I'm a huge pool fan and recreational player. Why are those good things in golf but not pool? Figure that out and pool will have a bright future. Continue to disrespect new and lower level players and pool will continue to decline in the US.

Last edited:

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps the solution would be for FargoRate to have their own forum, linked to the persons account.
Although that may be too much sunshine for some posters, being unable to post anonymously, or switch accounts once banned.
It might be a less than lively forum. Plus I'm sure they're busy enough already.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What the hell is wrong with a player that has a 516 fargo rating. To have a 750 player, you had to have a 516 player at some point. If the OP is a highly skilled player then show some damn leadership instead of all the massive pool ego crap, there would not be as many junk posts on here and maybe, if you gave back instead of looking down upon, there would be more good players and less less-thans posting the crap about the pro's.

Leaders > Complainers

You may take exception to my post, like I did with yours. You painted all lower level players with the same broad brush. I have great respect for pro players and for those on this years MC team. I'm a huge pool fan and recreational player. Why are those good things in golf but not pool? Figure that out and pool will have a bright future. Continue to disrespect new and lower level players and pool will continue to decline in the US.

I never said anything was wrong with not playing pro speed. I am only asking players to be respectful of those who are the best in our country, and pointing out that most that have put in the work to achieve high levels of play do just that. If you do as well then we're all on the same side here as best I can tell.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL, that has always been a pet peeve of mine, when the person runs out of arguments so they start woofing. No, of course the level of play doesn't mean that person is 'right'. But no one said it would. It would just be information.

My main point was to share the observation that good players tended to be more respectful towards other good players, and gently ask people to follow their lead a bit more often.

Thank you all for your replies.

Before responding to this reply.....btw ...thank you for clarifying your opinion it seems to me that you are hoping that to some how prove your opinion that its mostly lower level players who are being disrespectful to higher level players in their posts.

Well I hate to bust your bubble. It seems to me that its mostly higher level players who have a propensity to talk down their noses to lower level players . Their inflated egos would also seem to indicate that they also disrespect their peers as much as they do concerning players they feel they are superior to.

I believe if you were to look at the posting history of all the posters who were showing disrespect to the mosconi team in those half dozen threads posted I believe you wild find that the majority of the negative posters claim to be "good " players themselves.

Btw....i don't think you have to have a high Fargo rate to be civil to other posters on here when you communicate with them.

J Soto

The NON-Myth
Silver Member
Why the fvck is it that every time some one in here wants to disparage certain certain posters they refer to them as they must be apa players ?

I would venture to say that most of the posters that are on here disrespecting pro players are nit even league players...let alone apa players.

According to popular opinion on this website most apa players cannot even name 2 pro players besides the black widow so how can they possibly be posting disrespectful comments about pros ?

Some if you posters are so full of shit in your disparaging remarks regarding league players its unreal.

Because I feel pool leagues are reason why the talent in the US has dropped in the US over the last few decades. ..Most of the league players that I know dont want to move up in ranking because they wouldn't be able to field a team because of the leagues stupid handicapped rules

If my post offended you, then too bad so sad...It is what it is....leagues rule the US pool scene and its unfortunate that theyre playing the US 8 BALL and 10 ball tournament on a 7 foot table....

When Thorsten Hohman won the US 10 ball tournament a few years baco and was being interviewed, guess what he said? That it was a bar table tournament with a magic rack, even he wasnt impressed with his victory....

Sorry I hit a soft spot Lorider, you must be the top gun in your league.

Last edited:

Leaders > Complainers

There are good things in golf because the brains of the operation are not the players.

Classic bully boy tactics. Let's all worship at the alter of cj Wiley, shall we? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And who are these people disrespecting pros? The whole world thinks American pros aren't competitive at the moment - wanna fargo the whole world? You might find your rating ain't quite so spectacular as you think it is.

If America is butt hurt at the moment, good. Might finally force you to change, which many of us so-called haters who 'can't play' have been urging for years.

Now, go have a wollipop.