Mezz WX900 shafts on Schon

Ravenbrook

Registered
I've been looking at a new Mezz cue but noticed I can get a Mezz WX900 shafts for my Schon. Will this shift match up perfectly? Will there be any difference in playability versus having it on a Mezz cue?

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
my experience of using ob 1 and ob 1 + shafts on butts from various cue makers
is the shafts play the same its the change in weight /balance/ and grip size that takes alittle adjustment

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been looking at a new Mezz cue but noticed I can get a Mezz WX900 shafts for my Schon. Will this shift match up perfectly? Will there be any difference in playability versus having it on a Mezz cue?

Of the LD shafts I think Mezz is definitely one of the good ones.
Tiger makes a good one too, speaking of the one with the wider tip.
But lots and lots of people use the Mezz 900 on their Schon cues.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How the cue moves the cueball is all shaft and tip, how the cue feels when you hit it and the balance will change depending on the full cue. If it's made for a Schon it will match, although at times there may be a slight diameter difference in the joint and shaft collar.

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have both a Schon and Mezz; the Mezz shaft fits the Schon well, but the Schon shaft will not fit on the Mezz. The Schon butt & Mezz shaft plays really good.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am odd....
I have an ob butt bit have that 900 shaft from Mezz.
It is pretty sweet

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's two critical types of information being posted here - the quality/hit/feel/preference of a Mezz shaft on a Schon, and the mechanical fit of it.

The Mezz United joint is 5/16x14, but with a straight piloting. I've found this to fit ever 5/16x14 joint I've ever come across, including Schon. I've never noticed a difference between United and non-united Mezz shafts of the same thread pitch.

Schon uses a different 'half donut' shaped piloting, which fits exclusively to Schon butts. You can get non-Schon shafts made to have a Schon pilot (e.g. Predator 314), I generally do not consider this to be wise if you aren't certain you'll keep it or sell it with the butt.

At the joint, you may notice an ever so slight mismatch on the order of a tenth or hundredth of a millimeter. I've seen combinations with, some without (or beneath perceivable limit).

As far as hit, I am a fan of that order of combination of brands. I find Schons to be a little more back-weighted, though Mezz lets you add weight bolts accordingly (Schons do not from a user-adjustable standpoint). My experience with the WX900 was much more delightful than the Z2/Z3/OB Pro Plus from a 'crispness' score.