TAP marking the 9 ball?

Nab0610

Registered
So I have a tap rule question say a player is shooting the 9 ball he lines up the shot from the ball looking where he wants to shoot it then makes it. The opposing player then says you didn’t mark your pocket. Gamesmanship aside since they’d already played several racks what’s the rule?

Is it a foul and ball in hand with the 9 ball spotting up?

Or is it spotted up and you play it from where the cue ball lies?

If so where is it in the rules because it doesn’t seem to clarify it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have a tap rule question say a player is shooting the 9 ball he lines up the shot from the ball looking where he wants to shoot it then makes it. The opposing player then says you didn’t mark your pocket. Gamesmanship aside since they’d already played several racks what’s the rule?

Is it a foul and ball in hand with the 9 ball spotting up?

Or is it spotted up and you play it from where the cue ball lies?

If so where is it in the rules because it doesn’t seem to clarify it.
TAP. Typical. Sorry not to answer your question but this is just another reason i don't play league any longer. They play call-the-9??

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP, to answer your question:

League = horse chit

and

IMO....it takes a HUGE nit be in that situation.....

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having played TAP until recently it is the same as you calling the 9 but pocketing it in another pocket. The 9 ball spots and the incoming player shoots from where the cue ball lies, no ball in hand.

Nab0610

Registered
Having played TAP until recently it is the same as you calling the 9 but pocketing it in another pocket. The 9 ball spots and the incoming player shoots from where the cue ball lies, no ball in hand.

this was my understanding of the rule but the league owner states that its ball in hand because he committed a foul...

I don't understand how it can be a foul for not marking the pocket, but not be a foul for making it in the wrong pocket? If I mark a pocket and make it in the wrong pocket it spots up and you shoot it from where it lands...However if I don't mark a pocket it spots up and its ball in hand? HUH?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
In leagues where you have to mark the pocket, rules such as these are to prevent disputes from lack of common sense. It's also a way to recognize players who have lack of sportsmanship, and want to win by any means other than by skill.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the 9-ball is shot into the wrong pocket, it will be spotted and it’s the opponent’s turn playing the cue ball where it rests. The shot is scored as a Miss.

The above was cut and pasted from my TAP rule book. TAP has some ambiguous rules, but this does not seem to be one of them.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this was my understanding of the rule but the league owner states that its ball in hand because he committed a foul...

I don't understand how it can be a foul for not marking the pocket, but not be a foul for making it in the wrong pocket? If I mark a pocket and make it in the wrong pocket it spots up and you shoot it from where it lands...However if I don't mark a pocket it spots up and its ball in hand? HUH?

He's wrong, making a ball in the wrong pocket is not a foul, not everything that is against the rules is a "foul". For example an illegal break if the number of balls don't hit a rail. Also if I was the owner of that league I would say since they have played several games in the match without marking the pocket, they were playing without marking the pocket and the call about it is invalidated.

I did read about this type of situation before, where the advice was that even if the players agree to not mark the pocket and just shoot it, the other player can still call you on doing that at any point so to protect yourself from a-holes you should mark it even if agreed not to. I call it "Hilterisms". Of course I'll sign these papers saying I won't attack these countries, yea that's the ticket. Oh oops, looks like it's better for me if I do attack them after all, sorry.

Sad fact is that like hookers and carnies, you need to watch yourself around the other players or you will find yourself light of wallet or short of wins. If we could have honest and honorable players we would not be worried about fair handicaps or silly rules like pocket marking.

Last edited:

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 9 ball spots. I got into a discussion at TAP natls with some of the people running the tournament about marking the 9 ball. They were all convinced that US Open 9 ball was call pocket on the 9...i told them they were 100% full of sh@

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
IMO, it's BIH. Not marking the pocket on the 9 is a foul. YMMV

They should just call it Loss of Game. Less ambiguous. Spotting the money ball with BIH for the opponent is damn near automatic.