Steady Rest Help

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call Hightower, and get his shaft steady rest. If you plan on doing any joint work, then get his collet set (assuming that the steady rest you have pictured is his or is the same size as what he sells. You could get some collets and make that one work, but his steady rest that is specific for what your looking to do works so well, might as well just get it.

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
photo-12.jpg

Looks like you have a bearing in it allready so how about just a peice of hose between the shaft and bearing

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've recently got a lathe which I think is a Hightower.

I need a steady rest or a collet for shafts as its only shafts that I work on.

Can anyone help?

Here is a photo of the steady rest that came with the lathe.

http://s415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/jasond1975/?action=view&current=photo-12.jpg
What is the inside diameter of the bearing?
If you would like for me to look at pictures of the whole lathe and let you know if I think it is one we built feel free to post them or email them to me.

JasonDevanney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the inside diameter of the bearing?
If you would like for me to look at pictures of the whole lathe and let you know if I think it is one we built feel free to post them or email them to me.

Diameter is roughly 1½ inch.

I'll post some photos later today

Thanks.

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
I have a 3 jaw steady rest for my Hightower lathe. You can put it anywhere on your work. It was a little more expensive, but it fixed what needed fixing.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Diameter is roughly 1½ inch.

I'll post some photos later today

Thanks.
If that bearing diameter is 1.5" it is not one of mine. The bearing does not look like one of mine. My guess is the lathe is not one of mine either since the stready rest is probably not. Post the pictures and I can make suggestions on how to improve what ever it is that you have.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
If that bearing diameter is 1.5" it is not one of mine. The bearing does not look like one of mine. My guess is the lathe is not one of mine either since the stready rest is probably not. Post the pictures and I can make suggestions on how to improve what ever it is that you have.

Great gesture Chris. Reminds me I need to get some more sealer from you.

Hopefully I'll remember to give you a call before I run out.