stacked leather wrap

cuefeene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi cuemakers. is it possible to put a finish over a stacked leather wrap like meucci does over linen wraps? thanks

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah i really would like to have my wrap done that way. it would be nice

I'm not sure why you would like to have leather and then finnish over it?
My stacked wraps is done with kangaroo leather and gives good grip in your
hand but in addition it's softer than other grips.

If you should get this done, you should consider :

1: Meucci used linen or other types of line which stacks to be a hard surface.
Putting finnish on this would be OK since it is a firm material. i.e it would not
give to much if the cue "hit" on the table.

2: Doing 1: on leather should in case be done on a leather which is hard..
In my case, the kangaroo would be to soft where I would bet you that the finnish
would not manga to keep the surface free from cracks due to the fact that
the finnish would have a soft backing. This would be tied to the thick'nes of
the leather as well so there is plenty of things which could tip this wagon.

Also, depending on the cue maker - the stacked leather wrap could look like
a "normal" wrap - if the leather used has a uniform surface and is installed well.
So the looks would not be that different from "normal" leather grips. This could of course
be changed in all the worlds colors - so if you are only looking for the "looks"
and not feel, I would stay away from this combo.

Just my thoughts on this - I have not put finnish over any of my grips - so I
do not speak out of experience.
Hope it helped.

Bellow is an example of Kangaroo on a custom Mezz cue for reference
(note that the cheap camera has a "barrel" distortion in it's widest angle so the grip is not curved even if it may look like it)

Kent

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 758
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 735

cuefeene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would love to hear ryan of rat cues or someone from tiger products. or someone who has attempted this beore. thanks

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would love to hear ryan of rat cues or someone from tiger products. or someone who has attempted this beore. thanks

Ryan makes some nice stacked wraps and might have tried putting clear
over it. He uses normally wider strips than me - at least the grips I have
seen from him locally and has much more colors to choose from.

PM him and ask :)

Kent

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
have used CA on some cork and it looked amazing... after about 30 coats it would still flex as if it had no finish at all. Think most any leather would do the same thing and probably only look good momentarily....maybe it will work on leather but i'm afraid that anything with any give will most certainly pose problems

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member

I suppose it is possible but I've never tried. As with Meucci's wrap, it isn't as easy as just shooting finish over it and calling it good. There is a lot of prep work involved.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have seen light coats of laquer put on stack wraps and they look fine. So to continue applying more finish to make it totally sealed should not cause any problems. It will ding and look bad just like it was finished over wood if you hit it on the side of the table. That is the advantage of only using a light coat of laquer. If it gets scuffed it could be easily sanded and reapplied.

Crushem9

Registered
Use Master Shine

The stack leather wrap looks really good and very close to clear coat finish by using Master Quick Shine. This product is an aerosol, it is available at Tandy Leather,have also seen it at a few old school shoe stores that offer repairs.

Ive used it on 20 or so cues.You will be pleased with the results,over time it may need resprayed again as it does lose some of it's luster after a year or so of heavy play.

This is the product Tiger recommended and showed me how to use while spending some time getting some instruction for installation in Vegas.