MEZZ Break Cues...

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I'm thinking seriously about buying a breakcue and have narrowed the field to the Mezz Power Break, and the Power Break II. I've searched the archives here for information, but have had little success.
Can anyone who has either of these cues make any sort of comment, or recommendation? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

P.S. Some of you may wonder why a person who only plays One Pocket would be interested in a break cue, but I do, on occasion, participate in a few nine-ball ring games. :smile:

J Soto

The NON-Myth
Silver Member
I too once considered buying a Mezz break cue (dual force). Then I saw the price costs twice that of a Bk2 so I went with the BK2. Why are their prices so astronomically high?

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
My favorite break cues in order are:

1. Mezz Power Break Pro
2. Mezz Power Break I
3. Predator BK/BK2

I would definitely recommend the Mezz Power Break I. Never really liked the II because I'm a little tall and it just felt goofy in my hands but you can't go wrong with a mezz.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
I too once considered buying a Mezz break cue (dual force). Then I saw the price costs twice that of a Bk2 so I went with the BK2. Why are their prices so astronomically high?

The Dual Force is their most expensive break cue and also doubles as a jump cue so you can't really compare the two.

The next most expensive one is the Mezz Power Break Pro which you can find for about $450 and is right at the same price point as the new Predator BK3 which retails for around $469 I believe.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a Mezz Power Break II. It is short and stiff and wrecks the rack. You can remove weight rings from it so you can find a weight that works well for you. I really like it.

evanlockhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're looking at Mezz break cues, make sure to check out their new Power Break Pro.

Try to find someone who says something bad about it :grin:

teaz01

Unabashed Basher
Silver Member
Hi,

I have the PowerBreak II and really have nothing negative to say about it other than the pricing and friends always wanting to "try" it.
The stock DI shaft is a good compromise between stiffness and feel. I wasted the factory tip in short order and as it has a fiber backer lost another tip trying to reuse the factory pad. I installed the fiber pad from OB shafts and have had no problems with the repair since.
I picked up the Deep Impact Pro shaft to try the ferruleless design and now have a $300 backup shaft. I just prefer the feedback of the DI shaft.

P.S. One of my friends, and probably the best stick, purchased his own PB II and thankfully his is a different color.
P.S.S. Be wary of people with a slip in their break stroke as I had the shorter stick almost thrown through a wall one night.:eek:

Last edited:

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried all the Mezz break cues, can't say I care for them very much. I'm not a fan of phenolic tips, either. I've been using a BK2 with a Samsara break tip for a long time now, and I absolutely love it. So has everyone who's tried it out. Just my 2 cents

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Tried all the Mezz break cues, can't say I care for them very much. I'm not a fan of phenolic tips, either. I've been using a BK2 with a Samsara break tip for a long time now, and I absolutely love it. So has everyone who's tried it out. Just my 2 cents

Phenolic is not for the feint of heart... If you have flaws in your stroke expect them to be magnified.... Mezz and Predator lead the industry in energy transfer on the break through the materials they choose,, If you mod their cues you might as well be breaking off the wall.......

JonTravisTaylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had many 4 and 5 ball breaks on a Diamond bar box with the Mezz Power Break with the Deep Impact shaft...lastr weekend I made 7 on the break...pretty cool to see!

TheThaiger

Banned
Hi,

I have the PowerBreak II and really have nothing negative to say about it other than the pricing and friends always wanting to "try" it.
The stock Air drive shaft is a good compromise between stiffness and feel. I wasted the factory tip in short order and as it has a fiber backer lost another tip trying to reuse the factory pad. I installed the fiber pad from OB shafts and have had no problems with the repair since.
I picked up the Deep Impact Pro shaft to try the ferruleless design and now have a $300 backup shaft. I just prefer the feedback of the AD shaft.

P.S. One of my friends, and probably the best stick, purchased his own PB II and thankfully his is a different color.
P.S.S. Be wary of people with a slip in their break stroke as I had the shorter stick almost thrown through a wall one night.:eek:

I thought the PBII came with a DI shaft as standard, and the AD shaft was the jump shaft?

Now, what's the difference between the Mezz break shafts - that's a bugger of a question!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I like the MEZZ Power Break II, although it takes a little getting used to the shorter break cue. This pass week, while breaking, I missed the entire cue ball twice but I'm going to stick with the PBII because I know it was just me trying to break harder than I am used to or capable of, at least for the moment.

I suggest you try out someone else's PBII before buying one as it is "different".

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
This pass week, while breaking, I missed the entire cue ball twice...

Shorten that bridge and keep your bridge hand planted! :grin:

Haha... When I was younger every now and then on the break shot I would pull the cue all the way out of my bridge hand on the backswing and the front end of the cue would raise up on my forward swing and it looked like I was trying to stab an invisible midget standing on the table.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking seriously about buying a breakcue and have narrowed the field to the Mezz Power Break, and the Power Break II. I've searched the archives here for information, but have had little success.
Can anyone who has either of these cues make any sort of comment, or recommendation? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

P.S. Some of you may wonder why a person who only plays One Pocket would be interested in a break cue, but I do, on occasion, participate in a few nine-ball ring games. :smile:

I bought a bright orange "Orange Crush" from Gullyassi (sp) for $200 and love it. Plus it makes me stand out.:grin-square: But you are so shy it may not be for you.

teaz01

Unabashed Basher
Silver Member
I thought the PBII came with a DI shaft as standard, and the AD shaft was the jump shaft?

Hi,
You're right, Power Break DI shaft came stock with the PBII and the Air Drive shaft is for my jumper. Thanks for the correction.

teaz01

Unabashed Basher
Silver Member
How do they jump BTW? They're eyewateringly expensive, even for Mezz.

Hi,
The Air Drive comes with two shafts that interlock for steep shots. I found this configuration to be unforgiving and possibly too light for the applied shot. I don't care for the small diameter grip either. With the conventional butt attached, this jumper works. It's fast, yet transfers energy easily.
The only thing I don't like is the butt is too long to fit in my Instroke case. I pulled the bumper and can't use a joint protector to wedge it in there. Sooner or later I'm going to screw up the zipper.