CHALK TEST - Masters vs Exceed vs Predator vs Russian Magic vs Mezz Smart

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Masters (love it)
Predator (miscued with it, so i bought another 5 pack......still miscued)
Magic Chalk (good, but felt gritty)
BD (loved it)
OB (felt like BD but smoother, liked it a lot)
Great White (tried only once, loved it, hit a whole rack of balls....out of my budget)
G2 blue (was a gift, used for 3 months.....lost it, really liked it.....out of my budget)

I've stuck with BD (i chalk once every 5-7 shots, so its perfect for me).

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was honestly a little disappointed on the Russian Magic Chalk. From reviews, I thought it would have performed much better. I have a suspicion the formula has been changed over the years. But I could be wrong, I'm no expert. I look forward to your feedback and complaints :)

-The Billiard Corner

I have Magic Chalk (several boxes) that are from the original series. I could send you a piece and compare it with the "new" Magic Chalk.

Send me a PM, if interested, and we can discuss it further.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the same piece of kamui for more then a year.. when you do the math it’s really not that expensive lol
Me Too. Love Roku. After a year minus the shutdown time only 2/3 used. And I do chalk every shot unless showing someone how well it preforms...

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Masters (love it)
Predator (miscued with it, so i bought another 5 pack......still miscued)
Magic Chalk (good, but felt gritty)
BD (loved it)
OB (felt like BD but smoother, liked it a lot)
Great White (tried only once, loved it, hit a whole rack of balls....out of my budget)
G2 blue (was a gift, used for 3 months.....lost it, really liked it.....out of my budget)

I've stuck with BD (i chalk once every 5-7 shots, so its perfect for me).

Odd, for me I find Magic Chalk to be smooth, as smooth as anything else, with Masters being the most gritty of all the "good" ones. Triangle is good also, I don't think any worse than Masters. A place I play in has cubes of both mixed in their pile and I don't feel any difference in shooting or applying it between the two.

My top 4 would be Magic Chalk, OB, Blue Diamond, Balabushka
Rest are in 2nd tier (Masters, Triangle, Predator)
Can't speak of Kamui chalk, I used it before from friends but I don't find it anything special.
The Great White chalk I have two cubes of (the white version) but I miscue a lot with it and never really used it.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have been using good old Master Green for many years,it just work, I have no complains. Think I got a gross from Muellers for like $18.00 years ago. Plus shipping it was $25.00 delivered, for 144 Cubes, still have a lifetime supply on hand.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently tried some Blue Diamond for the first time. It seems a good compromise, though it does eventually leave some marks on the CB. It is smooth, and appears to adhere noticeably longer than average to a frequently roughed tip.
Dr. Dave claims no difference between chalk brands if you chalk-up before each shot, but I seem to experience fewer miscues with the BD than with Toam (which lasts forever & NEVER marks my red circle CB), and at least it doesn’t roll way under the table when you drop it.
I would still take my Magic chalk to tournaments though where everyone else is using Master, and just remember to stay with outside english.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have never Mis-Cued, after applying Chalk the Right Way, it amazes me to see people person Cube of Chalk that look like someone drilled a hole dead center. If this is how your Cube of Chalk looks. How do you get a good cover of Chalk on the edges of your Cue Tip? Maybe it not the Brand of Chalk that is the problem, it the person doing the application of Chalk to Tip.