Darren Appleton-How good is he?

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Are five packs really that common? I hear about them, but are they on bar tables or what? During DCC 2012 and Tunica 2012, how many five packs or more occurred? I really don't think it's that common unless the equipment is easy.

TheThaiger

Banned
I don't know. I seem to remember that Daz has some pretty heavyweight stake horses behind him. But I will certainly concede that his gambling record is well behind Mr. Van Boeing's and Mr. Pagulayan's.

For the record though he was I believe going to play Dippy one pocket in London for a huge amount and Dippy backed out. And if I remember correctly there was a standing offer for any player to come to England and play him American 8 ball for $50,000 and no one stepped up. They actually gamble a lot in England so I would not be counting Mr. Appleton out too quickly as a money player. He might surprise you.

Daz offers bets to top UK players as well, often with generous weight. Can certainly string packages together when the pressure's on.

As for Dippy, he cited concerns over his safety as the reason for pulling out, which was absolutely laughable.

Bohemian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe i missed the first one but iif not then this was far over due. It seems like everything some wins a big tourney or has a couple of wins that goes public then the buzzing starts. OH! this person is the greatest player in the world, so let's get on the band wagon. This happens all the time. The last wonder boy you had was Shane, when he was on "and i mean really on" shit everyone felt and acted like he was superman, totally forgetting other player and now that Darren has some wins he's kind of like the new buzz leaving all the other to only be mentioned in a "name the Top Ten".

Now I'm not personally going after the OP and all that stuff, and forget about some of the members here, gesh they just can't wait to bash from the shadow, but anyway I would like to say TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN pro players are pro player and can beat or have taken down another pro "as another poster also mention" so get off peoples dick.

Darren has proven his game by winning two back-to-back you know what, Mika has two back-to-backs under his belt also, Efren, Ralf, for crying out loud. But since some people keep forgetting here are the two greatest players that we have to date.

JOHNNY ARCHER & EARL STRICKLAND ........ PERIOD

(can't wait to see some peoples reply, might have to subscribe to this one)

Personally, I think Earl Strickland is the greatest 9-ball player to ever play the game to-date...

Appleton accomplished back to back U.S. Open 9 Ball & International Tournament of Champion titles concurrently, which I believe nobody else has done thus far... Pretty impressive IMHO

When Appleton beat everybody at straight pool a game he never played at Derby City it was an eye opener...

In a Head to head race to 100 games or more of 9-ball or 10-ball I think Appleton would beat Van Boening, be even with Archer and probably lose to Strickland...

There's my TAR Match-ups I'd like to see, preferably on one of those new 10-foot Diamonds...

Another good one I think would be Appleton vs. Frost in a one-pocket Iron Man competition like playing a even race to 100 games ahead... Non-Stop...

Last edited:

Bohemian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Daz offers bets to top UK players as well, often with generous weight. Can certainly string packages together when the pressure's on.

As for Dippy, he cited concerns over his safety as the reason for pulling out, which was absolutely laughable.

In regards to Dippy... I guess you did not see or hear about the biggest Samoan looking Hulk you ever saw that picked him up by the neck, with one hand and slammed him on his back in the middle of a Gold Crown in Vegas?

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Will

Everyone quit comparing Strickland of past to today's players? Strickland has changed, for good, and he will not be the Earl of yesteryear like everyone seems to want. Even if Earl shot as good as he did in the past, I really doubt he would win as many tournaments because the competition level is so much higher now than in the past.

Earl is similiar to Tiger, in that both are conflicted, although for different reasons, and they might win a tournament occasionally, but they will never dominate the sport again like they did in the past.

Daz is a terrific player, and he has proven it on the world's biggest stage.
I rank him right up there with Johnny Archer in my mindset. I did not care for his 'celebration' antics though when he won the World title. He could have shown more 'class'.

TheThaiger

Banned
In regards to Dippy... I guess you did not see or hear about the biggest Samoan looking Hulk you ever saw that picked him up by the neck, with one hand and slammed him on his back in the middle of a Gold Crown in Vegas?

I didn't - what happened?

Bohemian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone quit comparing Strickland of past to today's players? Strickland has changed, for good, and he will not be the Earl of yesteryear like everyone seems to want. Even if Earl shot as good as he did in the past, I really doubt he would win as many tournaments because the competition level is so much higher now than in the past.

Earl is similiar to Tiger, in that both are conflicted, although for different reasons, and they might win a tournament occasionally, but they will never dominate the sport again like they did in the past.

Daz is a terrific player, and he has proven it on the world's biggest stage.
I rank him right up there with Johnny Archer in my mindset. I did not care for his 'celebration' antics though when he won the World title. He could have shown more 'class'.

Comparing Earl of the past to today's players? come-on...

Earl Strickland of the here & now beat none other than Shane Van Boening in a race to 100 10 ball match on a 10 foot table... available on DVD from TAR... mmmm....

Earl apparently has plenty of game left in him...

Shane is easily in the top 5 of today's players...

IMHO In a race to a 100 games minimum 9 or 10 ball Earl is better than even money against anybody on the planet...

The longer the race the better advantage Earl has...

Notwithstanding, Earl still regularly places in the money in world class competition...

TheGlaze

Registered
He has won two consecutive U.S. Opens and countless other titles. He plays all games at superstar levels. I shot out of the room he plays at most in Allentown, he has tons of heart in the gambling side of it. He has the whole package, I see a lot more for him in the states.