Newbie needs advice

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I think the Holland table will probably be fine for the purpose. The experience of the guy in Houston is alarming, but I don't think you will be moving the table or storing it in that climate. I would watch the installers carefully to make sure everything goes together properly when it's installed. Carefully.

I agree. My only major concern is the slop holes and how large they are but with a good installer and a stable surface under the table he should be fine. My first table had an MDF bed so I know where you're coming from. :D

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is exactly the kind of response I was afraid I'd get when I posted here.

Can someone else please provide some info specific to the table I have in mind without the snobbery? That was my original question, still unaddressed.

Thank you. :smile:

This is exactly the kind of response I was afraid to read from a University of Spoiled Children know it all. The table you picked sucks. The brand you picked sucks. You are coming on a forum with very knowledgeable people trying to help you avoid stupidity. With that said, I think you have made a fine choice with table selection, now go play in the Tar Pits.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello!

Years ago I almost bought a pool table and did a ton of research about pool tables (based on my join date, must have been 2014). I know there are a lot of factors to consider and I've forgotten all of it: surface types, number of pieces, surface thickness...

I'm back in the market for a pool table but this time I have my sights set on a specific pool table and if it's a good table I won't spend any time shopping around or re-educating myself. I would really appreciate it if I can get some pros and cons of this specific table - https://www.amazon.com/Minnesota-8-...11c06036315c9e36efed2675919927&language=en_US

I'll be getting it from a different vendor for $3500 but I posted the Amazon product page because some of the photos show the table's construction which may be useful to the advice I'm seeking. Additional info from the other vendor that is not on Amazon "Coordinating, embossed leather pockets with riveted nets match the look of the table and profile of the rail. The Diamond Pearl Sites are seamlessly inlaid into each of the rails for precision aim capabilities."

I love this style and if there aren't any red flags I'll buy it, but if there are I'll have to expand the scope and start learning about pool tables all over again. Would really love it if I could get some feedback on this table.

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Sorry for all the snotty responses you might get. There are, sadly, a lot of jerks on this site that believe what they believe without knowing anything. I just bought a table and did a lot of research. I'm concerned about the metal brackets used in the corners. That's how the cheapest tables are built and it is not quality construction. I suspect it indicates other issues as well. It might well be satisfactory for you but it's not a good way to build a solid table and you can do better for similar money with other manufacturers.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CharlesUFarley...why do you have to be such a jerk? I don't necessarily disagree with your main point but there's no need to be so hostile and sarcastic. Guys like you and their needlessly smart-ass comments are why a lot of people, especially newbies, don't want to use this site any more. You weren't trying to be helpful at all, you just wanted to pound the guy. Good job.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eleven years ago I bought a furniture table, 8 foot and figured it would be fine as I'm a retired geezer. How much use/stress could I put on a table? Two years later I bought a mint condition Gold Crown IV for $2,500. Table, delivery, set up and new 860. It was freakin' beautiful.

As to mental illness, I've been a life long Harley rider. We tend to be a sick bunch. If I played pool as much as I ride, I'd be a pretty good player. Even so I don't own a Harley cue, table cover or logo'ed table.

These guys are giving you real good advice. It's really not snark. Do what you want but considering the number of years playing at a serious level and only one guy has even seen one of these tables is not saying much.

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only thing I can add to the comments posted is...

If you like the style of table (not just the name cut into table) but also the legs & shape of the wood then go with this table...
as someone suggested call the company to talk to them... maybe they can answer your questions... especially when it comes
to clothe & logo's...

I agree with others that if you are wanting a better playing table for serious pool... then go with a Gold Crown or Diamond...

Bottom line... it is your money & up to you in the end... as your the one that has to use it, play on it, & see it.... :)

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I'm familiar w Holland Barstool Co. Sold their barstools, they weren't great quality. Your interested in buying a pool table from a company that is known for barstools. That should set off the spidey senses right there.

I'm betting all the wood is manufactured in China. If so, the finish on the wood is crap. It will wear off, the wood is not stained, it's painted essentially. I'm guessing they bought the table design and added their touches to it. All the framing etc, made overseas, shipped back add in some slate and there you go. That table in five years, well played will look like garbage because of the finish. Anything furniture wise from China, Taiwan, Vietnam has garbage finish on it. Because they use different woods that will take stain differently, they coat all the wood with a primer type thing and then apply color over that. If you get a light scratch or chip, you can't just touch it up with stain, it won't take. If the blemish goes past the finish they put on it and it gets down to raw wood, then the stain will take but you need to start w stain much lighter than the finish color. If you use the same color stain as what you see, where the raw wood is, it will be much darker than the factory finish.

How good are the cushions? How long will they play well? That's gonna be a big part of how good it actually is.

It's already an economy build. The price gets jacked because of them using the Gophers stuff on it.

I'd pass for that price. Like others have said, buy a nice used gold crown or even a valley for a third the price and use that extra money for decorative stuff to put in your pool room. Or use the money to treat yourself to a great weekend away to watch a game.

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Disclaimer, UCLA guy here,

You came right out of the gate and you managed to hit a heated topic button. Perhaps the only thing worse would have been to ask how to aim. You're really only going to get a recommendation for two tables on this forum, for good reason, and from many who have traveled down the same path you are now facing, including myself.

Based on your current criteria, neither of these two tables will fit the bill. Buy the USC table you like. I'm assuming the cost is not much of a factor so, IF, in the future your criteria changes go buy a different table. Not to be mean, but to inform, you might get a grand for that table in a year. It's as simple as that.

As many have stated, and the reason for all the heat, it is a furniture grade table. Depending on how much you play, improve, and experience different equipment, you may never notice the difference between furniture and commercial grade tables. To best answer your question, from the pictures I've seen its construction and price are commensurate with other furniture grade tables.

Good luck with your purchase, having a table in the house tends to be a gathering point and a hell of a lot of fun.

Steve