My Miz memory

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had a few beers tonight, so I decided to share my favorite memory.

The scene is the 1992 US Open (won by Buddy Hall). I was a decent enough player and had been around enough that I knew most of the "tour" players by face if not by name.

After Buddy won, he came to me pretty much first, as I was a huge fan. This is just a proud side moment, by the way.

Then there was the after party. I remember buying a very young Shannon Daulton a few beers that night.

At the end of the night I retired to the 13th floor (I think) of the Holiday Inn for the evening.

After a few hours (or one) of sleep, some genius set off the fire alarm. I heard it long enough that I finally decided to get out of the place.

As I was going to the fire escape, I ran into Miz. He was in his boxer shorts and a wife beater standing by the elevator.

I said "you know they say not to use the elevator in case of an emergency, use the stairs, don't you?"

He then looked at himself up and down and said "I think I will take my chances on the elevator". Remember, we were on the 13th floor!

I thought what the heck and jumped on with him.

False alarm of course, but I never will forget it.

If anyone cares, I will tell you the Keith McCready story from the next day.

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
: ) I care. What's your McCready story from the next day?

Not as funny as the Miz story, but a good one.

I was in the lobby around 8am the day after the tournament talking to Buddy. McCready came strolling in as usual with a drink in his hand. Buddy asks him what he is drinking.

He says "Coffee, you know me, Buddy."

Buddy says "I know better than that, Keith." And if you were drinking coffee, we would all be playing for second place every week."

Not a funny story but a very telling one, if you ask me.